Euthalus taxonomy Q

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone know if these Euthalus "red", "orange", "yellow", etc that have the color on the anterior dorsal abdomen like this one below are all variations of the same species? I gather calling something a different "species" from something else can get a bit fuzzy sometimes.

So far I like this one I have. Seems to have a passive disposition and the color is nice.

Have they been in the hobby in the past or just recently?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of the ID's on the stuff coming from the guys in Chile are dubious at best... BUT, it's generally better to err on the side of caution and keep things separate.

You have to wonder about an exporter that ships out an Oligoxystre sp. with a huge urticating hair patch. But they sure can distinguish forms of "E. pulcherrimaklaasi" can't they!

The same folks that are shipping these "new" species from chile your seeing people post are also shipping many thousands of G. rosea still.... I don't know how there's any of those poor things left.

Eric

Last edited:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Even the genus is questionable, never mind the 'trade names'. I'm suspecting more and more that the main variation here are the names only.:rolleyes:
Next it will be sp. "red flaming beauty"...{D

They have been in the hobby for a while, I got mine as a sling in mid '06.
I think the recent influx are wild caught and all from the same importer.

But as Eric mentions, probably best not to make assumptions and take chances on mixed breeding. There could be a highland/lowland/regional type thing going on as with the "gold" sp.

Bill

Last edited: