1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurypelma Rubrop?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ThreeJane, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM.

1. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello,

Librarian here - I have a patron who is asking about this particular tarantula. I've posted over at Reddit and they've advised me that genus does not exist anymore. Does anyone know what it's called now?

Thank you!

2. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

It appears as though all Eurypelma species are now classified under Avicularia based on this link: https://wsc.nmbe.ch/genus/3325.

A search of Eurypelma leads to the Avicularia wikipedia page, which lists that document as the first reference for the article.

3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I'm not 100% sure about that, man. Take for instance the so called and debatable Eurypelma spinicrus 'issue'.
    Now happens that a spider labeled that way almost always 'jumps out' in the Internet junk/cheap trade market, mounted inside a little wall glass display etc

Well, a lot of those E.spinicrus were basically sold and mislabeled upon the Citharacanthus spinicrus, not an Avicularinae at all, present in Cuba/Haiti etc but, often, the spider inside wasn't that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

Perhaps the wording "all" was a bit hasty, but from a quick scan using Ctrl+F on the sourced document it seemed reasonably accurate after the first 4-5 results. The doc was provided for closer review.

I also couldn't find anything for the species mentioned, Eurypelma rubrop. The only reference I can find with the two words together is in German: https://www.forgottenbooks.com/de/d...auischenVereinsfurNaturkunde1912_10680325.pdf

The word used is "rubrophob" which is not quite the same.

5. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnogeek Arachnosupporter

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

I bet this Eurypelma rubrop is a misspelling of Eurypelma rubropilosum which was transferred to Aphonopelma many years after the synonymy of Eurypelma with Avicularia. The species Eurypelma rubropilosum was transferred to the genus Aphonopelma by Gunter Schmidt without examining type material and with no justification making the combination Aphonopelma rubropilosum. Ray Gabriel in 2013 considered the species Aphonopelma rubropilosum as nomen dubium due to the type material being lost and an inadequate description by the original author Anton Ausserer in 1871.

References:
    Gabriel, R. (2013). Revised taxonomic placement of the South American species of Aphonopelma Pocock, 1901 (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology 16(2): 33-37.
    World Spider Catalog (2018). World Spider Catalog. Natural History Museum Bern, online at http://wsc.nmbe.ch, version 19.0, accessed on 4/16/2018. doi: 10.24436/2

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1