Eupalaestrus campestratus - size

Pasteo

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I heard that the E. campestratus is a very "docile" tarantula, but its growth is very slow.

There are different estimates of its max. size in the internet. In some sources the E. campestratus is one of the worlds biggest tarantulas, but other sources deny this. Now I would like to compare this tarantula to Grammostola pulchripes which is usually also very docile.

So if I want to get a docile big tarantula, will the female E. campestratus grow bigger than the female G. pulchripes? Maybe as big as a A. geniculata? Or is this nonsense?

Best wishes
:)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not as big as a genic! I think those get as big as a large G rosea, but i van be over my head here? Lets see what other says!

cold blood

Staff member
Get the pulchripes...it gets larger, grows faster, is more active, is easier to find, cheaper to buy and has a VASTLY superior feeding response.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
E. campestratus grow bigger than the female G. pulchripes? Maybe as big as a A. geniculata? Or is this nonsense?
E. campestratus does not grow as big as G. pulchripes or A. geniculata. I don't own a E. campestratus, but I have seen and fed one before in person. Thy're about the same size as an A. seemanni, so about the 5'' mark range. Some people say there's is 6'', but I think they just can't measure right. If I was to guess max size for E. campestratus I'd say at "most" it's probably 5.5''.

If I were you I'd go for something else. G. pulchripes and A. geniculata certainly grows bigger than E. campestratus.

Pasteo

Arachnopeon
E. campestratus does not grow as big as G. pulchripes or A. geniculata. I don't own a E. campestratus, but I have seen and fed one before in person. Thy're about the same size as an A. seemanni, so about the 5'' mark range. Some people say there's is 6'', but I think they just can't measure right. If I was to guess max size for E. campestratus I'd say at "most" it's probably 5.5''.

If I were you I'd go for something else. G. pulchripes and A. geniculata certainly grows bigger than E. campestratus.
Alright. Many thanks :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Not even close to G. pulchripes, got my AF E. campestratus at around 5" DLS. I think 5-6" DLS is the norm.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well I have both. The pulchripes are younger and have outgrown the e camp quite a bit. I am not sure if there is a more docile t than an e camp but the pulchripes are known to be chill. I think e camp is a medium size t in the 5 inch range as an adult. Older females can probably hit 6 inches. Pulchripes probably 7 inches. I have read a genics can hit 8 but I haven't seen one that big. My pulchripes are always out and almost seem to be curious. My e camp is pretty much a big sissy and hides alot. Not saying one is better than the other. If I could only have one it would be the pulchripes. I might change my mind when my campestratus grows up. At the rate it is growing my toddler will probably be getting his driving license by the time the e camp matures.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have both and the more tolerant of the two is Grammostola pulchripes. Eupalaestrus campestratus have a reputation of being tolerant, and I am not saying that they can't be, but I think there are far more tolerant species out there. My female is around 4-5" and she is a skittish little girl who sometimes will lift her abdomen at me if I mess with her. I've never seen any real defensiveness from her, and she has never even kicked hair at me, but I would not consider her high on the tolerance scale. That might change when she gets larger, as my Grammostola pulchripes wasn't as tolerant at the smaller sizes either.
Grammostola pulchripes will get a fair bit larger as well. Eupalaestrus campestratus only get to 5-6" and Grammostola pulchripes are more in the range of 7". Some have even reported having larger females.
Both are awesome species, but Grammostola pulchripes wins out in the tolerance and size departments.

My darling Grammostola pulchripes female, Portia.
DSC03845-2.jpg

My Eupalaestrus campestratus female sticking her abdomen up at me, because I removed her hide to take a photo.
DSC00571-2.jpg

Pasteo

Arachnopeon
I have both and the more tolerant of the two is Grammostola pulchripes. Eupalaestrus campestratus have a reputation of being tolerant, and I am not saying that they can't be, but I think there are far more tolerant species out there. My female is around 4-5" and she is a skittish little girl who sometimes will lift her abdomen at me if I mess with her. I've never seen any real defensiveness from her, and she has never even kicked hair at me, but I would not consider her high on the tolerance scale. That might change when she gets larger, as my Grammostola pulchripes wasn't as tolerant at the smaller sizes either.
Grammostola pulchripes will get a fair bit larger as well. Eupalaestrus campestratus only get to 5-6" and Grammostola pulchripes are more in the range of 7". Some have even reported having larger females.
Both are awesome species, but Grammostola pulchripes wins out in the tolerance and size departments.

My darling Grammostola pulchripes female, Portia.
View attachment 305576

My Eupalaestrus campestratus female sticking her abdomen up at me, because I removed her hide to take a photo.
View attachment 305577
Interesting information and also nice pictures. Many Thanks!

:embarrassed:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Hi. I'm new in here and was checking the forum so, I'd like to give some input here.

For starters, E. campestratus is a slow grower indeed and they don't get bigger than A. geniculata. However, in the hobby, we have Eupalaestrus campestratus that were collected in different localities and, guess what? Not only they are different in sizes but, they also could belong from different species even though they are very similar. So, basing on this information we can say that E. campestratus can reach about 14 to 16cm, with a max of 17cm in isolated cases.

About G. pulchripes, theres a rumour that they also has 2 sizes, but differently from E. campestratus, its about 2 different sizes populations from the same species. In this case, there were keepers that saw individuals with 15cm but also, others with 18cm. They are slow growers too.

Hope it can help, and hope I understood your doubts correctly. Lol.