Euathlus sp Red vs Euathlus sp Fire

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Are these the same thing? The 2 local sellers offering E sp. 'Red' no longer offer them, while the 3rd has E. sp. 'Fire'. My search around here and other places suggests they are, but there's not much conviction.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Yes it is the one and same tarantula. Also called Chilean Fire Rump Tarantula
Thanks! It seems strange to me that the seller would use 'Fire' when all the positive things being said about this spider refer to it as 'Red'.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks! It seems strange to me that the seller would use 'Fire' when all the positive things being said about this spider refer to it as 'Red'.

One of the many reasons why people should stop using common names. They're worthless.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
One of the many reasons why people should stop using common names. They're worthless.
It seems that until they describe this spider, 'Euathlus sp. Red' is only slightly better than 'Chilean Red Rump' (or whatever it is).

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's actually assumed to be a Homoeomma spp. and not Euathlus at all if I remember Dr. Longhorn correctly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's actually assumed to be a Homoeomma spp. and not Euathlus at all if I remember Dr. Longhorn correctly.
That is correct.

Euathlus is a place holder, I believe B smithi's genus was once E.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That is correct.

Euathlus is a place holder, I believe B smithi's genus was once E.
actually that one i know your right on the money with. a friend i know has had his smithi for like 20 yr+s and its container still was labeled "Euathlus Smithi" i thought he had been duped at first till i did some digging around ^_^

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For that species it certainly is a place holder, although it isn't one in general to my knowledge. A number of Brachys were once Euathlus spp. I'm aware, but I wouldn't go as far as stating that genus is a placeholder in general, mate. Science and forms of taxonomy get more modern like everything else over time, so it's safe to assume mistakes were made back then and corrected later. Just like with a lot of other genera and species we'll see in time I guess.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For that species it certainly is a place holder, although it isn't one in general to my knowledge. A number of Brachys were once Euathlus spp. I'm aware, but I wouldn't go as far as stating that genus is a placeholder in general, mate. Science and forms of taxonomy get more modern like everything else over time, so it's safe to assume mistakes were made back then and corrected later. Just like with a lot of other genera and species we'll see in time I guess.

Saw the smithi with the E genus on World Book of Spiders, Plotnick's site I believe. Regardless I saw it in scientific taxonomical literature. That's all I know my man!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah true, I only use them when I don't feel like typing out long latin names. Sellers should only be aloud to use latin names.:coffee: