Euathlus sp. red slings keep dying?

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
So I'm stumped as I've lost two of these little 1/6 inch guys.

I've raised a dozen slings up from about 1/4 inch across a couple different genus (heck even my little A. versicolor is doing a-ok) with the same standard routine (pill bottle with one or a few holes poked in the lid, damp cocofibre substrate, weekly feeding of either teeny pins or pre-killed prey or pieces, removing any leftovers the day after feeding day and gentle light sparse misting once a week) and all are thriving and have grown.

Yet these little guys have died on me. The first sling I don't know what happened, the second appeared to have gotten stuck in their molt. From what I understood the little guys aren't a moisture-loving species and you run the risk of drowning the poor little guys if you moisten the substrate, so the substrate was drier than usual, but I don't think it was bone dry. That'd be the only thing that I can think of. But as I said it is harder to keep the substrate as moist as needed without drowning the little guys.

Thoughts/info?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I'm stumped as I've lost two of these little 1/6 inch guys.

I've raised a dozen slings up from about 1/4 inch across a couple different genus (heck even my little A. versicolor is doing a-ok) with the same standard routine (pill bottle with one or a few holes poked in the lid, damp cocofibre substrate, weekly feeding of either teeny pins or pre-killed prey or pieces, removing any leftovers the day after feeding day and gentle light sparse misting once a week) and all are thriving and have grown.

Yet these little guys have died on me. The first sling I don't know what happened, the second appeared to have gotten stuck in their molt. From what I understood the little guys aren't a moisture-loving species and you run the risk of drowning the poor little guys if you moisten the substrate, so the substrate was drier than usual, but I don't think it was bone dry. That'd be the only thing that I can think of. But as I said it is harder to keep the substrate as moist as needed without drowning the little guys.

Thoughts/info?

Keep only a small section of the sub moist for drinking, the rest is bone dry. My 1/6 sling did well, and is now much larger.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
I have had a few close calls with mine as well. I check it at least twice a week. I keep the substrate dry but mist a small area on the substrate. Being so small they seem to dehydrate quicker.

NeuroToxin109

Arachnopeon
I use deli cups for mine with thumbtack holes along the lid and sides. I poke a few holes along the bottom corner as well and for moistening substrate I stick a hypodermic needle into the bottom and inject water into that one spot. Usually keeps about 1/3 to 1/4 substrate damp, depending on how much water is put in. Coco fiber for substrate. Works really well for all my slings!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The trick is to not keep them too dry. I'm keeping my quadrouples the very same way as their mother is: 50/50 dry vs moist substrate. I got them when they were barely 0.25", now they're 1.5" and growing. Never had any problems with them either. This is one species that takes patience, but is also very easy to raise in my opinion as they're quite hardy. Make sure there's enough ventilation, offer enough substrate to burrow (all four of mine do that by now) and except for feeding - leave.them.be.