Euathlus Sp Red Sling Care?

NaCon

Arachnopeon
hey all first post, looking to get a Euathlus Sp red as my first T into the hobby, only thing is all my places are sold out or sell slings, so is there anything I need to know about caring for the sling of this species?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Their growth is best described as glacial. Mine took 16 months before I saw the orange splash on the abdomen, and it's still only about 1 inch DLS.

Other than that, same as any other NW terrestrial. The slings are usually tiny, so you may want to offer prekilled if you can't get small enough food items (or just for ease of care.) They happily scavenge.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well. you're only 18, so you'll probably see it fully grown in your lifetime. :p

Other than that, care is similar to most NW terrestrial slings. Get a small 1 or 2 oz deli cup or something else according to the size of the sling, coco fiber (or any other suitable substrate), a piece of cork bark as a hide (although it probably won't use it), a tiny water dish (if it fits in the cup), and keep half of the enclosure moist (not wet).

As feeders you can use pinhead crickets or mealworms for example, both prekilled or with their heads crushed.

Oh, and get more tarantulas, because you'll be bored very quickly. :rofl: Don't get me wrong... I love my E. sp. red, but if I had only this one, I would've done something stupid a long time ago. :rofl:

NaCon

Arachnopeon
;):embarrassed:
Well. you're only 18, so you'll probably see it fully grown in your lifetime. :p

Other than that, care is similar to most NW terrestrial slings. Get a small 1 or 2 oz deli cup or something else according to the size of the sling, coco fiber (or any other suitable substrate), a piece of cork bark as a hide (although it probably won't use it), a tiny water dish (if it fits in the cup), and keep half of the enclosure moist (not wet).

As feeders you can use pinhead crickets or mealworms for example, both prekilled or with their heads crushed.

Oh, and get more tarantulas, because you'll be bored very quickly. :rofl: Don't get me wrong... I love my E. sp. red, but if I had only this one, I would've done something stupid a long time ago. :rofl:
I’ve got ferrets as well which being furry toddlers is time keeping ;), and about the moist enclosure, I’ve read a lot of contradicting posts about temp and humidity in the spiders enclosure, I’ve read some that say room temp is fine, and a water dish works for all Tarantulas both new and old world. Others (especially care sheets) say it must be as close to the natural temp and humidity as possible, any advice on that?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Others (especially care sheets) say it must be as close to the natural temp and humidity as possible, any advice on that?
Yes...ignore that crap. Care sheets kill tarantulas. Do not chase humidity numbers...it's fairly pointless, frustrating for you, and the gauges sold in pet stores are often inaccurate as hell anyway.

In general, we should not be trying to recreate conditions identical to those in nature...remember that in nature, tarantula mortality rates are extremely high. We should be trying to create ideal conditions.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
;):embarrassed:

I’ve got ferrets as well which being furry toddlers is time keeping ;)
Good for you! :D

I’ve read some that say room temp is fine, and a water dish works for all Tarantulas both new and old world.
This! Basically, if you're comfortable in a t-shirt, your spider will be comfortable (without the t-shirt ;)).

I recommend watching Tom Moran's sling guide. It's quite long but equally worth it. :)

NaCon

Arachnopeon
Good for you! :D

This! Basically, if you're comfortable in a t-shirt, your spider will be comfortable (without the t-shirt ;)).

I recommend watching Tom Moran's sling guide. It's quite long but equally worth it. :)

Thanks for the links! Deff looks like a good watch, does it teach house to raise and lower temp humidity as well? As it gets extremely hot in the house during summer but freezing in the winter, or is it as simple as just a Change in the amount of heating in the winter, and keeping him in the shade etc

cold blood

Staff member
@NaCon For future referenbce...

Literally all NW terrestrial slings are kept the exact same way. Damp sub (or partially damp) and keep temps at least 70...they can drop a few degrees at night. Its as simple as adding water when the sub dries. If you can fit a water dish, go ahead.

Keep it simple, don't offer too much room, too much burrowing space or too large of an enclosure.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes...ignore that crap. Care sheets kill tarantulas. Do not chase humidity numbers...it's fairly pointless, frustrating for you, and the gauges sold in pet stores are often inaccurate as hell anyway.

In general, we should not be trying to recreate conditions identical to those in nature...remember that in nature, tarantula mortality rates are extremely high. We should be trying to create ideal conditions.
Most care sheet for Ts sound more like your keeping some type of water swimming frog.:couchpotato:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Oh yes, if you see one of these available- do get one. They are wonderful.

I've had my sling for about 2 years. It is a VERY slow grower. It has been nearly a year since its last molt- so that gives you an idea. I also have an AF (the mom of my sling) and they are both wonderful. Very curious, out and about, cute as can be. My AF is my "work" spider and she lives at my office. I have actually been surprised how often my little sling eats, definitely more than my bigger Aphonopelma specimens and definitely more than the AF, she often goes 6 months between feedings. Sometimes I just figure "what the hell" and offer him food even if it hasn't been that long and the little dude has been a fat bean for months now, and he eats! :D

You got a lot of good advice on here. Mine has been in a little condiment cup like the one pictured in @cold blood post.

I do enjoy having some fast growers (like GBBs, Phormictopus, Hapalopus sp. Colombia large) to balance out the slooooow growers like this. I use a little ink holder (used for tattooing) for water. My little sling likes to trash his enclosure and seems to enjoy filling it up with dirt. Even though my AF likes a very dry enclosure, the little one does seem fond of the damp side of his enclosure (I just overfill the ink cup periodically). Once upon a time he had a wee little plant and piece of cork but they are buried somewhere in his enclosure now! :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks for the links! Deff looks like a good watch, does it teach house to raise and lower temp humidity as well? As it gets extremely hot in the house during summer but freezing in the winter, or is it as simple as just a Change in the amount of heating in the winter, and keeping him in the shade etc
Most tarantulas tolerate a pretty wide range of temperatures. I heat and cool the place for my comfort, and the tarantulas are fine. (If your house is regularly getting in the 90s or the low 60s, you may have a problem.)

I don't measure humidity at all or worry about it. What I do is moisten the substrate as required by the species and size of the individual.

keeping him in the shade etc
You want to keep the enclosures out of direct sunlight no matter what time of year it is. The greenhouse effect can quickly heat an enclosure to dangerous levels.

NaCon

Arachnopeon
Most tarantulas tolerate a pretty wide range of temperatures. I heat and cool the place for my comfort, and the tarantulas are fine. (If your house is regularly getting in the 90s or the low 60s, you may have a problem.)

I don't measure humidity at all or worry about it. What I do is moisten the substrate as required by the species and size of the individual.
Thank you, I don’t measure my temp period, but may now start as my room is right near the roof and a loft, so in the summer It can get extremely humid and hot and visa versa for winter, at most it should get into the 80s as I’ve never had any hot day go over 30°c (86°F if you’re in the US)

You want to keep the enclosures out of direct sunlight no matter what time of year it is. The greenhouse effect can quickly heat an enclosure to dangerous levels.
I already was going to do that what I meant was if it was as simple as just moving it to a more cooler spot, sorry should of elaborated, but thanks for the reply anyway :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yeah, of course, now @viper69 comes sauntering in, showing off his beautiful, beautiful girl and making everyone with a generic, grey-brownish sling of this species green with envy. Again. :shifty: :p :kiss:

Last edited:

NaCon

Arachnopeon
I have been looking for a Euthalus sp red forever, I can't find any
Super rare which is a shame, I get that they’re slow growers but come on, only thing I can think of is see if my local exotic pet store can order them in, I did find one who was selling but needed card details over the phone which seemed shady IMO

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Super rare which is a shame, I get that they’re slow growers but come on, only thing I can think of is see if my local exotic pet store can order them in, I did find one who was selling but needed card details over the phone which seemed shady IMO
Yeah, that's actually really shady

Thekla

Arachnoprince
There's a reputable breeder here in Germany who breeds them every so often. He doesn't have them right now, but I'm pretty sure he'll be having them again at some point. I don't know if he'd ship to the UK, but maybe it's worth a try. :)

NaCon

Arachnopeon
There's a reputable breeder here in Germany who breeds them every so often. He doesn't have them right now, but I'm pretty sure he'll be having them again at some point. I don't know if he'd ship to the UK, but maybe it's worth a try. :)
Do you have the name or a link to their site?? Thanks, it’s sad not many people breed them to be fair, Chili has closed its borders to shipping wildlife so breeding is now the only way