1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euathlus sp red - is this a suitable enclosure?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Doc Ebola, Dec 30, 2017.

1. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    Advertisement
    I start to wonder how these little things would do in a semi-aboreal set-up like people do with the GBB sometimes.

Realistically, little is known about this species in the wild, and almost every owner experiences a Eu. sp red that is constantly wandering, trying to climb out when the top is opened, and on the side of the enclosure.

Wonder if anybody has tried a semi-aboreal, or at least a higher set up with a tall cork bark or something.

2. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I don't know about that...mine climbs out of its enclosure, yes, but she's not very good at it to say the least. But maybe that's just mine ;)

3. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    That's part of my thinking though, with a few more angled cork barks with easier footing perhaps they're less likely to climb up the sides....

4. Andrea82

Or just have an easier time getting out :hilarious:

5. Doc Ebola

Doc Ebola Arachnosquire

I have another question about getting your first tarantula. I can get a subadult or an adult, but not sure what to go for. I do enjoy watching as much of the life cycle as possible. It would be nice to witness a moult, but I suppose there is a small risk of a mismoult. I have a lot of experience with other inverts and a few true spiders. My main concern is getting a nice docile spider that I can handle occasionally. I wondered then if it’s better to get a younger specimen (a female) to get it used to being handled, or if an adult is naturally less skittish. I’ve emailed the breeder to ask the age of the adult, as I of course want to enjoy her for as long as possible. I’m also now considering a B. albopilosum. They are very cute and furry and I’ve read they’re very docile. Any advice would be gratefully received.

6. Andrea82

If you get an adult female, it will still molt, only the time between molts will be even longer for this species.
    Don't get a male since it will mature, mate, and die.
    I'm sure you're already aware of the dangers of handling? This species is generally tolerant and curious, but ALWAYS be prepared for sudden mood-swings. There are posts about this species being defensive, although those are the exceptions. You won't need to take this species out, it will walk on you without hesitation. Leave it to the spider, don't force it. Not handling is better, safer for the both of you ;)

7. Doc Ebola

Doc Ebola Arachnosquire

Thanks for the info. I’ll post up some pictures when I get everything set up.