Euathlus sp red - is this a suitable enclosure?

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Hi there
I’m about to get my first tarantula and would really like a Euathlus sp red. Do you think this is a suitable enclosure? I figure it might be a bit big but I read they like to roam around, and with a few inches of substrate it shouldn’t be too tall. My main concern was the ventilation holes - is that enough? It seems to have half a dozen on both of the long sides. Cheers.

http://bugzarre.co.uk/epages/950002515.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002515/Products/HHSBL

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The dimensions are 28 cm long x 18 wide x 15 height.
For other species I'd say it's a bit big, but seeing that E.sp.Red likes to wander and dig it would be okay. I wish they would sell these in the Netherlands as well!

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
For other species I'd say it's a bit big, but seeing that E.sp.Red likes to wander and dig it would be okay. I wish they would sell these in the Netherlands as well!
Yeah, it looks a really nice and clean enclosure. But of course I’m more concerned the little guy is happy.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
But I’m sure they’ll export to NL if you really wanted one. He makes loads of cool enclosures.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, it looks a really nice and clean enclosure. But of course I’m more concerned the little guy is happy.
You're getting an adult male? You said in your previous post it's an adult and now you're calling it a guy.. Mature males are only good for breeding really. This species has low food requirements and mature males have practically none... You'd be better off buying a sling or an adult female.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
You're getting an adult male? You said in your previous post it's an adult and now you're calling it a guy.. Mature males are only good for breeding really. This species has low food requirements and mature males have practically none... You'd be better off buying a sling or an adult female.
No, I’d rather a female - it was a wee figure of speech. I read that the ladies live a lot longer too.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Seems kind of expensive for an enclosure like that to me....but I'm not in the UK.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Seems kind of expensive for an enclosure like that to me....but I'm not in the UK.
Yeah I think so too. I used to make all my own enclosures, but recently starting trying to upgrade the appearance of my mish-mash of tubs. I like these clear acrylic numbers - it’s what I keep all my jumping spiders in.

ACB7E96A-8246-4435-8F97-06188CCF300B.jpeg

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I keep my Adult Female in a ExoTerra SMALL Breeder Box
She looks great. I really want one. The box looks good too - I really like it and much cheaper. Is it tall enough though - what depth of substrate do you have in it? Or do they only really burrow when they are slings?

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
She looks great. I really want one. The box looks good too - I really like it and much cheaper. Is it tall enough though - what depth of substrate do you have in it? Or do they only really burrow when they are slings?
Oh, and what substrate do you use? Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She doesn't try to burrow, but it could be just her. Her hid is sunk into the substrate a bit and that sufficed. Though since I moved almost a year ago, she has not used her hide once that I've seen. The hide is made of PVC hot glued w/moss and coconut fiber mats used for hermit crabs.

Sub is just fine ground coconut shells.

I like your shelf and the LEDs, who'd you get the shelf from?

Also, if you decide to keep Avics, you'll do better with the large AMAC boxes you have either inverted OR instead of the deep lid, the ones that have a flat lid.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
She doesn't try to burrow, but it could be just her. Her hid is sunk into the substrate a bit and that sufficed. Though since I moved almost a year ago, she has not used her hide once that I've seen. The hide is made of PVC hot glued w/moss and coconut fiber mats used for hermit crabs.

Sub is just fine ground coconut shells.

I like your shelf and the LEDs, who'd you get the shelf from?

Also, if you decide to keep Avics, you'll do better with the large AMAC boxes you have either inverted OR instead of the deep lid, the ones that have a flat lid.
Thanks for all the info. The shelf is Ikea (SVALNAS) with a roll of led lights stuck top and bottom. I would love to get my hands on AMAC boxes and tried to get them for ages, but couldn’t find anyone to ship them to the UK :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info. The shelf is Ikea (SVALNAS) with a roll of led lights stuck top and bottom. I would love to get my hands on AMAC boxes and tried to get them for ages, but couldn’t find anyone to ship them to the UK :(
AMAC is an American company. But you have excellent setups in EU esp for larger Ts and cheap, like all those glass cubes you see that ExoTerra's are based off of sorta.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

If you use blue LEDs or at least filtered light that is blue, you'll be able to observe them at night w/out disturbing them. You'd want moonlight basically. Red light of course works, but it's far harder for us to see. I used a blue moonlight from the reptile world at one point long ago, and it worked perfect.