1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euathlus/Bumba pulcherrimaklaasi fustration

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Paul1126, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    I have never not liked raising slings until I got 2 Euathlus/Bumba pulcherrimaklaasi,
    It has been the most miserable, frustrating and dejecting tarantula keeping experience of my life.

I set up these slings like any other slings, terrestrially, a hide, waterdish and slightly moist substrate.
    Both slings will cling to the walls all day, it doesn't matter if the substrate dries, they will not let go of the walls. They refuse to be normal spiders and make use of the hides, both eat really well. As soon as they finished eating they will be straight back onto the walls.

Maintenance is a nightmare and I dread it everytime I have to remove uneaten prey or change the water dish, both slings are extremely skittish and as they already wall climb constantly, will climb right out.

This morning when refilling water of one these slings, he climbed right out and started making a bid for freedom, of course I got him back in the enclosure.

If anyone has any experience in raising these slings, I need advice ASAP, If not I'm going to sell them off or give them away for free.

Pictures are not of most recent setups, think of a live food tub with dirt, waterdish and a hide that is their setup.

2. JanPhilip

JanPhilip Arachnoknight Old Timer

How long have you left them in an enclosure before feeding, watering or significantly altering the setup? Some times they need a couple of weeks to find their place. They are ok without food for quite some time, so just leave them alone. On the other side, if they are feeding and jolting without issue, everything is kind of fine in my opinion. They don't harm you if they bolt and you can just put their cups in a bigger tub for feeding to make sure they do not get too far. Just stay calm and let them run rather then trying to catch them very quickly, they don't have a lot of stamina.

3. Paul1126

I have had them a couple of months, it's so rare for me to see them on the ground.
    When first received I waited 4 days before attempting a feed, watering was done before placing them in an enclosure.
    I rehoused them not to long ago, hoping the less room to climb and more floor space would stop them clinging to the walls, I was very wrong about this.
    I have not fed them both for more than 2 weeks.
    When I open their enclosure the first reaction they have is to leave the enclosure and never to hide, both of my slings have never used the hide to my knowledge.

I'm not scared of them by any stretch of the imagination, they were expensive slings and I would kick myself if one actually managed to escape out of my reach.

It's really, really annoying to keep these slings.

4. Veitchiiman13

Veitchiiman13 Arachnopeon

Well, my 3" female has very similar behavior. She'll regularly climb the sides of her enclosure, and when I open the door to do maintenance/feed her, she'll typically come and see what's going on. In my case, though, she does spend a lot of time under her cork hide, mostly coming out in the evening/night or if I start messing around in her cage. She hasn't bolted on me (yet..) and has been fairly easy to contain.

5. Paul1126

It's the complete opposite for me, the slightest disturbance, (removing a water bowl for cleaning) results in the spider going ape, which results in them getting out the enclosure.
    I'm not finding it fun raising these guys at all, I thought maybe it'll just be the one unfortunately both of them display almost identical behaviours.
    Which makes me believe I'm doing something wrong.

6. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

Calgary
    My 2 1/2 inch Eu. parvulus almost never touches the ground either, and its in a fair sized, bone dry enclosure currently, and uses every inch of it. Just likes to climb I suppose.

7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

The slings are eating good and not hiding....i seriously dont get why there would be the least bit of frustration....i mean, who cares where they choose to sit.

If you use a deli cup with a pliable lid, you can just lift a little edge to feed and practically eliminate those "escape attempts".

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Since when is common sense useful! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Paul1126

Because I don't like to have to gather up a loose spider after every bit of maintenance I do, I thought I explained that?

Well, me... quite evidently.

I don't.

:stop:

10. viper69

Well we knew that already by your post haha, His point was, why does it matter to you? Does your world implode if the T isn't doing what you'd like it/expect it, hope it will do? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  11. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

I have this undescribed species of Euathlus as well that exhibits this exact same behavior and the concern is that the behavior is saying it is not content. Mine too climbs all the time, is very skittish, but at the same time eats likes crazy, drinks, and molts fine. It is best to make every attempt to calm a tarantula that does this and solve the problem than to work around it.

That being said, I haven't made any attempt with mine to solve the problem since I use a Kritter Keeper style cage for it and drop crickets in through the little plastic door on the top and pour water into its cup through the plastic screen lid with it closed.

In the event someone wants to try some ideas I have with their own, here is where I would start.

- Change the coco fiber substrate to topsoil or mix of it. Judging by pictures of these Euathlus species in nature, they come from an arid region of Chile where the soil is rocky and sandy. Not fluffy and fibrous which coco fiber is. I'm using coco fiber and it isn't working too well for it.

- Use a larger container with a larger hide or a larger piece of cork bark and create a scrape style burrow for it. Place this along the side of a rectangular container instead of a round container. A scrape style burrow is a bowl shaped depression underneath an object. Again, judging by pictures of this species in nature, they build their own shelter under large rocks and boulders. Mine tries to dig in the corners despite having a good size half log hide in the center of its Kritter Keeper. This tells me it wants to build a retreat where it perceives something large and sturdy.

All in all I have had this problem with many different species ranging from Aphonopelma, to Brachypelma, Theraphosa, and so on. The trick to calming down a tarantula that constantly climbs and is hard to deal with is to figure out what it needs to be content through trial and error of husbandry technique. Sometimes the stock husbandry advice doesn't work.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Paul1126

I don't understand what you're not understanding about this.
    My world isn't going to implode because my two pulcherrimaklaasi slings are constantly wall grabbing.
    But it does increase the chances of an escapee sling.
    The question I asked, was simply if anyone had any experience with these spiders and could help out, whilst pretty much every terrestrial tarantula will wall grab at some point, the amount these slings do is unusual.
    I only asked because they live on the side of the walls and never come down.

13. Paul1126

I've tried 3 different types of enclosure styles.
    Most recent is a shallow container with less substrate, more floor space.
    Both still cling to the side, on occasion one sits on the floor until I disturb it.
    Both not using the hides provided.

Never thought about changing the substrate.

14. viper69

Increase escapes--- Only if you aren't careful. I've had slings leave a container while cleaning up and they were on the floor of container. Just be careful that's all.

You feel the amount is unusual--- but how do you know the amount they spend doing X is an unusual amount of time? How does one define "usual"?

I've had a few species live on the walls as adults for no obvious reason. They ate, drank and went back up. Then one day came back down, no change to their home, aside from lifting the lid.

Enjoy them for what they are- if you will not allow yourself to do that, then do as you said and get rid of them.

15. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

Calgary
    I also wonder if we mistake the needs of some of these lesser-described T's. They may not be arboreal, and are considered terrestrial, but perhaps some prefer sides of rocks/low branches, etc. to flat ground, hence the climbing.

16. viper69

This is true for some species. Some don't burrow they live among rocks, even though the soil they live on could be turned into a burrow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paul1126

18. Paul1126

I have been, hence none have been lost.

It's unusual because they are classed as terrestrial, but don't act like it.

Funnily enough, both slings are on the ground. I suspect that this is due to an impending moult.

It's a possibility.

19. viper69

Agreed, captivity can also induce unnatural behaviors in animals too, including humans.

They know you are talking about them and want to make you foolish :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 1