Ethmostigmus trigonopodus- minimal care requirements?

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am interested in getting a Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (Blue-Ring Centipede) and was wondering if i could get away with a 10-gallon tank and some mulch and fake plants? my dad doesnt have a lot of money as he pays for a lot of bills and such. i was also wondering bite symptoms, maximum growth, lifespan, etc. i want to know it all, as well as proper handling for it. also wondering wheres a good place/site to buy babie ones as i want to have one for a while, i would also like to know if centipedes can brave the winters we have in minnesota without a proper heating lamp or humidity thing that it needs to be set at (i dont know much about this stuff)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
i want to know it all, as well as proper handling for it.
Forget about the 'proper' part. Say 'handle', alone. Basically you are asking, among other questions, if there's a "better/proper" way for handle a Scolopendridae. There aren't IMO.

I don't want to discuss now the handling issue again, but keep in mind that they tend to test bite "things".
As far as i know the venom is not medically significant like, for instance, Scolopendra subspinipes.

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
thats fine, i have had
Forget about the 'proper' part. Say 'handle', alone. Basically you are asking, among other questions, if there's a "better/proper" way for handle a Scolopendridae. There aren't IMO.

I don't want to discuss now the handling issue again, but keep in mind that they tend to test bite "things".
As far as i know the venom is not medically significant like, for instance, Scolopendra subspinipes.
thats fine, as i have had rabbits that like to test bite me

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The important thing is to have an escape proof enclosure, they are really escape masters, man. Height, in that sense, is very important.

And humidity (moist substrate and a water dish) because they are less "hardy" than Theraphosidae in that. Even the "desert" ones... you can't keep one of those on a bone dry substrate like you can do with some T's.

I can't help about where to buy now because i'm not from the US, but there's a lot of sellers here and great skilled breeders.

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
The important thing is to have an escape proof enclosure, they are really escape masters, man. Height, in that sense, is very important.

And humidity (moist substrate and a water dish) because they are less "hardy" than Theraphosidae in that. Even the "desert" ones... you can't keep one of those on a bone dry substrate like you can do with some T's.

I can't help about where to buy one because i'm not from the US, but there's a lot of sellers here and great skilled breeders.
alright so i can give it a water dish? no problem there, i can find a top for the tank i guess

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
alright so i can give it a water dish? no problem there, i can find a top for the tank i guess
Yes, of course. You have to offer him/her a water dish. "A top for... " lol escape proof enclosure, man, trust me ;-)

Here in Italy Scolopendridae are perfectly legal to own, unlike Arachnids (yes but grey zone) lol, i saw Scolopendra subspinipes of other enthusiasts way worst than Pterinochilus murinus or other Asian OW's T's.

All of those were kept/are keep in no Papillon enclosures, like ADX Florence :)

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
Yes, of course. You have to offer him/her a water dish. "A top for... " lol escape proof enclosure, man, trust me ;-)

Here in Italy Scolopendridae are perfectly legal to own, unlike Arachnids (yes but grey zone) lol, i saw Scolopendra subspinipes of other enthusiasts way worst than Pterinochilus murinus or other Asian OW's T's.

All of those were kept/are keep in no Papillon enclosures, like ADX Florence :)
so how would i go about escape proofing this tank im gonna put him/her in?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
so how would i go about escape proofing this tank im gonna put him/her in?
Who knows, man? You talked about a 10 gallon tank only, then you said: "i can find a top for the tank i guess".

Me, in a nutshell: "Jesus Christ if you need one" ah ah.

Now seriously, the one you want isn't from what i know so much badass but remember, man, if the head can pass trough, so will the body.

That's why height and little air holes are a must, especially for adults.

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
Who knows, man? You talked about a 10 gallon tank only, then you said: "i can find a top for the tank i guess".

Me, in a nutshell: "Jesus Christ if you need one" ah ah.

Now seriously, the one you want isn't from what i know so much badass but remember, man, if the head can pass trough, so will the body.

That's why height and little air holes are a must, especially for adults.
well i remember this tank being about a foot high, theres the issue of whether or not centipedes can climb glass though? what is the structure of their legs?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
well i remember this tank being about a foot high, theres the issue of whether or not centipedes can climb glass though? what is the structure of their legs?
That's why i asked. 10 gallon... what? Glass? Plastic? etc Yes they climb (they try... but if housed correctly and well fed a bit less IMO) but if the height is good enough (this depends by the specimen and size in question) meaning, greater in height than the lenght you are fine.

Top opening is strongly suggested, little holes for ventilation (cross ventilation, you drill those).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let me tell you this, man. I know people that keep adults, badass, Scolopendridae in stuff like this (very cheaper here):

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/S99898536/

They drill holes (cross ventilation) and done :)

Very cheap enclosure.

Others, use hot glue and iron stuff things for custom made enclosures... now who knows how to explain well this in English to you, lol, sorry :eek:

Last edited:

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
Let me tell you this, man. I know people that keep adults, badass, Scolopendridae in stuff like this (very cheaper here):

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/S99898536/

They drill holes (cross ventilation) and done :)

Very cheap enclosure.

Others, use hot glue and iron stuff things for custom made enclosures... now who knows how to explain well this in English to you, lol, sorry :eek:
lol your fine, and the tank i have is glass, and i would like to have a Tanzanian Blue-Ringed Centipede, but are they like ants, beetles, spiders, etc. where they have 2 little hooks for feet and they can scratch glass and create little scratches they can hook into and climb glass. are centipede feet like that?

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
lol your fine, and the tank i have is glass, and i would like to have a Tanzanian Blue-Ringed Centipede, but are they like ants, beetles, spiders, etc. where they have 2 little hooks for feet and they can scratch glass and create little scratches they can hook into and climb glass. are centipede feet like that?
I only have smaller centipedes but from my experience and what I've read they can't climb smooth surfaces like glass or plastic. Badly scratched up plastic maybe.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I only have smaller centipedes but from my experience and what I've read they can't climb smooth surfaces like glass or plastic. Badly scratched up plastic maybe.
Centipedes generally are unable to climb smooth surfaces. Their legs only have one claw, which is not very effective for ascending smooth surfaces. Just avoid any tall decorations such as rocks or logs, as a centipede will certainly have no problem climbing them.

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
Centipedes generally are unable to climb smooth surfaces. Their legs only have one claw, which is not very effective for ascending smooth surfaces. Just avoid any tall decorations such as rocks or logs, as a centipede will certainly have no problem climbing them.
yeah, i have seen videos of them crawling around their enclosure, they are freaking acrobats lol

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
so can anyone give me an answer to the question of what minimum care requirements are? i know escape proof enclosure is a must, mulch, things to climb on, a water dish, but do i need that thing to set the humidity for it?

DeathAngel2054

Arachnopeon
alright i have decided upon a scorpion instead, centipedes ARE NOT fun at all, it seems all of them are very aggressive while an emperor scorpion seems to be very calm and docile, and as a novice keeper with no experience with inverts i think that will be perfect for me so i guess this thread can be shutdown or something? idk