Escaped S. dehaani

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Yep, worst week of my life :dead: After what I thought wasn't going to get any worse. My mom was like, "hey whats this pile of dirt in a tank?" and messed with the tank (opened it) and left without leaving the lid PROPERLY CLOSED. This is where my deadly 6.5'' Scolopendra dehaani took its chance and SWOOSH!! after my mom left the basement where I keep all my T.'s and inverts. The problem was that my mom didn't know what was in it. And also I didn't know this happened until I got home from school and decided to rehouse it and change substrate. As I was searching for it in the pile of just "dirt". I realized the centipede pulled a Michael Jackson, "Smooth Criminal" and I was then alerted about what happened. I am so mad right now, I can right a book about how terrible this week was for me :(:mad:. Any advice about where to search??? I searched under everything and checked all the old shoes in the basement as well. But no luck, i'm about to be at the point of despair if this week gets any worse. :(:(:( Yea I don't care how you people reading this feel like, go ahead, laugh, face palm or whatever, but this terrible week is going to make me break everywhere personally. :(:(

NYAN

Arachnoking
Scolopendra dehanni isn’t exactly ‘deadly’ I would say. Anyway what you can do is leave damp towels in the corner somewhere since it’ll seek moisture. You can also leave prekilled food somewhere also and hope it comes out and tries to eat while you are watching. They are nocturnal keep in mind as well. Inform everyone in the house what’s happened also, this will prevent it from being injured if someone else finds it and will allow people to exercise caution to not get bitten. In the future I would label your enclosures and tell people to not open them. You say that you searched everywhere, but is it possible it already escaped outside?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Scolopendra dehanni isn’t exactly ‘deadly’ I would say. Anyway what you can do is leave damp towels in the corner somewhere since it’ll seek moisture. You can also leave prekilled food somewhere also and hope it comes out and tries to eat while you are watching. They are nocturnal keep in mind as well. Inform everyone in the house what’s happened also, this will prevent it from being injured if someone else finds it and will allow people to exercise caution to not get bitten. In the future I would label your enclosures and tell people to not open them. You say that you searched everywhere, but is it possible it already escaped outside?
Not possible to leave the basement, the basement door is locked at all times. and the steps to leave the basement is to tall for it. Everyone in my home has been alerted.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Not possible to leave the basement, the basement door is locked at all times. and the steps to leave the basement is to tall for it. Everyone in my home has been alerted.
The steps are too tall? Is the materials slippery like glass? If not it can climb them. What types of furniture and such are down there?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
It might also try to hide somewhere warm, so under any appliances that might produce heat would be a good place to watch. When mine escaped briefly it hid in a corner behind a stack of books, then when I moved the books it climbed up my blinds, so check up high too.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The steps are too tall? Is the materials slippery like glass? If not it can climb them. What types of furniture and such are down there?
The material is stained polished wood, making it way to smooth for it to climb on.

NYAN

Arachnoking
The material is stained polished wood, making it way to smooth for it to climb on.
You’re absolutely 100% certain it isn’t in the substrate still? I know that I’ve read a few times where people think they had an escapee but it was buried very well. I would keep checking under, inside, above things and hope for the best. If possible try with s flashlight late at night when it’s normally active.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You’re absolutely 100% certain it isn’t in the substrate still? I know that I’ve read a few times where people think they had an escapee but it was buried very well. I would keep checking under, inside, above things and hope for the best. If possible try with s flashlight late at night when it’s normally active.
I thought the same at first, but after taking out little by little to be just certain it was in the substrate, nothing came out. Just dirt 100% and that's why i'm here posting this thread.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
1) Bit of solace, once when my S.subspinipes was gravid (and I didn't knew that) one pedeling managed to escape and lived pretty well near me (I wasn't even aware of that) for months. They are ninja and masters into disappear almost everywhere. You can search the hell out of your basement (considering however what @NYAN said in comment #7, about the substrate) for find nothing.

Well, nothing 'bad' happened: no bites etc not to me, nor to my cats (back then, 4).

2) Try to be optimistic a bit because the week didn't ended, and you never know what can happens 'tomorrow': freaking trust me on this, I talk for personal experience :shifty: freaking, God damn it, recent personal experience (@Garth Vader :kiss:)

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
Following. I had a polymorpha slip out recently and no luck finding it so far... :(

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Moral of the story. Always label your enclosures. I've had a scolopendra subspinipes escape on me before. Check every possible hiding place. Honestly tho if it has a way to get into the walls/floor you may be shit out of luck.

You can try leaving water or other things to create humidity and attract your pede if its still in the area.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Any updates? I had a young Black Mexican Kingsnake escape and after a month she appeared in the basement from the 2nd story. You're options limited to sit and stalk in the evening hoping it hear it move. For mine I put plastic bags in the corners and against walls hoping to hear movement, in the end my snake just turned up but I doubt the pede has the same endurance with its humidity requirements. Don't give up!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Any updates? I had a young Black Mexican Kingsnake escape and after a month she appeared in the basement from the 2nd story. You're options limited to sit and stalk in the evening hoping it hear it move. For mine I put plastic bags in the corners and against walls hoping to hear movement, in the end my snake just turned up but I doubt the pede has the same endurance with its humidity requirements. Don't give up!
No signs unfortunately :(. My siblings say dumb things like our house cat ate it LOL :rolleyes:. But still no traces of it.

JavaJacketOC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check in or create damp areas. I had a Rhysida get out for 3 weeks, made in about 50 feet to another room and found it in the bathtub one morning.