Escape proof centipede enclosure

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I've been considering a centipede lately so what type of enclosure would really be escape proof as I hear quite often about how pedes are great escape artists.

Munax

Arachnosquire
Height is probably your first defense. A tall slick enclosure is best, along with a lid that locks and it cant bite through (like thin mesh or something, that's easy to breach). I don't have experience with bigger pedes like gigantea, but I assume the same applies, although there might be another trick or two. I'm sure the more experienced keepers can give you more advice.

What kind of pede you thinking about getting?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
well this got a lot of replies.
Probably because it's not a secret how to make them escape-proof and there are many threads about how to accomplish it :p Matter-of-fact, now that you've created a thread there are links at the bottom of your thread that are related. It often gets me sidetracked when I'm trying to find specific information lol.

Munax is right. Since they can't climb smooth surfaces like glass it's a simple matter of height from top of substrate or highest decoration/rock/whatever being greater than the length of the centipede if you want escape proof. So long as the pede doesn't learn how to levitate that's basically it. Be careful with the silicone in the corners of glass tanks as that can provide a foothold to allow them to climb.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
The enclosure should be at least as wide as the animal is long and 2x's as long as the centipede's total body length with a lid that preferably LOCKS to be on the safe side as the are pretty powerful inverts, My well fed centipede don't use as much enclosure space as they mostly stay burrowed into the substrate most of the time.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
In addition, pay attention to the size of any breathing holes. Centipedes are more "malleable" than one might expect of an arthropod.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the help guys, from what i've got its really just the same thing I need to do with my snakes.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Height is probably your first defense. A tall slick enclosure is best, along with a lid that locks and it cant bite through (like thin mesh or something, that's easy to breach). I don't have experience with bigger pedes like gigantea, but I assume the same applies, although there might be another trick or two. I'm sure the more experienced keepers can give you more advice.

What kind of pede you thinking about getting?
Possibly S. heros due to somewhat lower humidity demands, nice colors, and based on bite reports painful but not nearly as bad as some other pedes which if I'm correct can do long term nerve damage (though I don't plan on doing anything stupid and getting myself bit)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Nice, I always wanted one of those with the black body and red head but they seem almost nonexistent in the hobby. North American scolopendras don't seem to be nearly as intense bite-wise as their jungle counterparts across the Pacific. As for long term nerve damage I'm not sure myself. Bites from S. subspinipes, amongst others, just aren't that well studied from what I have seen and heard and there isn't a ton of scientific info in regards to human reactions much less long-term follow-ups.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I can't recall where it was mentioned but I clearly remember a report of a S. subspinipes leaving some sort of nerve damage someones hand so figured despite not having much info on it why risk it, and based on the bite reports page for S. heros everyone seems to be fine after those.