• No escapes and over 50 tarantulas

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Yes, escape(s) and over 50 tarantulas

Votes: 38 13.4%

• Total voters

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been keeping since Nov of 2004. I have 25. No escapes yet, but I've been bitten and I've had one die. I guess I'm just lucky so far. I've had one of my pythons escape twice (changed her enclosure after the second time) and head for the T room shelves. She knocked over my A. huriana (which is fine) and the lid stayed on.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I currently have around 100 Ts and other anthropods with only an adult female L. bishopi escaped after I came back from vacation and noticed her missing. Cricket chewed a hole through her lid and she followed right behind. Still haven't found her or her remains yet.

Other then that, no other escapes.

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had at least 5 or more t's since i was a little guy. i have been in the hobby seriously now for 5 years and at the moment i have over 100 t's around 50 scorps and 5 snakes (two are 10'+) and i have had about 6-7 escapes. one really bad one was when orion (my 11 foot reticulated python) got out and decided to go exploring and knocked over 12 containers of t's. i come home and there he is looking rather sheepish in the corner and there are all of these t's all over the house.

Last edited:

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No actual T escapees but I've had two emps loose in my house for about a week now. Still can't figure out how they got out through the closed lid though.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Sheri said:
Unattended spiders. Like you wake up in the morning and notice that the singapore blue is gone.

Not while doing cage work.

Seperating slings, well, I can see how that happens... especially with a geniculata sac... or brachypelma, or lasiodora!

Whoops. :8o I voted yes, 50+ tarantulas before I got to this post. Only escapees were during maintenance or sling separating! :eek: Got my frist T 14 years ago.

Spider_Monkey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only one escape. Male 5" B. Smithi slid screen top open one night. Found him 3 weeks later, alive. We have over 100 T's and have been in the hobby over 6 years. BTW, we lock all of the cages now.

-Lauren & Jason-

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
42 T's, three yrs collecting, two escapes. Both less than 10 minutes each. I've chased a few OW's during transfers of cages, always a good time catching them. It what helps make life interesting!

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Two Ts right now, over twenty at one point. Three escapes. Two were at the same time, a younger cousin had been running about while over visiting and ran into my tank display. I was out at the time and his mother claims she has no idea how he got into my room with my animals. (Both caught within the hour, perfectly fine if a bit stressed, said cousin is no longer permitted over unless his mother will keep an eye on him)

The second was a rosie who is still running loose (Free Range as my mother terms it). Apparently she popped the lid off her critter keeper and hasn't been seen since. My mother was caring for them while I was on visitation with my dad, so I was not around to help her look in the obvious places until I was returned home two weeks later. We're still hunting.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had one escape when I only had 5 tarantulas. Ever since then I never had one since, and I am well over 50 tarantulas.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had one escape in about 6 years.

I guess it was oporator error, I had a fishtank lid, that was open on the backside (the plastic was made to be removable on the back to put a heater or something in I guess.)
I didn't think at the time that they could climb glass. came home one day and mom found Hairy(RIP) in my sisters room.

I was more shocked that he survived a 2 1/2 foot drop unharmed.
it never happened again.

rodillablanco

Arachnopeon
I have twenty T's and have had one A. avicularia escape twice through flimsy bridal veil. Both times it only went about 1 foot and just hung out on the wall. I think he didn't want to go too far from the crickets!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
counting all my rosie slings I have close to 100 spiders but I won't count them so I'm well under 50 and I have had one escape. Been in the hobby since november of 2004

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 8 T's and one scorp and to date only had 1 almost escape lol. It was a 1" inch OBT yes Martin it was yours lol. The lil runt was fast as lightning and almost got away.

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 long 2 short,my rosie has escaped twice, found within two days the first time, one the second time(but not by me.lol). a B.albopilosum which has yet to be found. and my p.murinus twice, and it looks like this 2nd time is going to be fatal.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first escape a few eeks ago. A C. schmarde got out of an airhole. Thats what i get for not listening to breeder and transferring it to a bigger cup.

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a B. smithi for 18 years and she never escaped. Had a Rosie for a short time also. I was a teenager and my room got relatively cold. My Ts would burrow in the winter time and I would not see them for several months. I thought my Rosie did this. As it warmed up my smithi greeted me one morning but no Rosie. Several weeks went by and it was plenty warm so I went digging. No Rosie! The mystery was solved some time later. I was cleaning the bathroom and picked up a wicker basket my mom kept Readers Digest in (ALWAYS something to read while on the throne at mothers house). I noticed there was a crushed, dried Rosie on the bottom :( Best I can figure is mom picked up scattered magazines in the house and dumped them into the basket enmasse and crushed the poor T hiding underneath. I still to this day do not have any idea how it got out as the lid was intact. I suspect a pesky younger sibling or two was involved. I have seven Ts now, all youngsters. No escapes yet with these.

maxamillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had two escapes and I have been working with inverts for a couple of years. One of them was a Green Bottle Blue that was on the run for about four days. The other was a Giant Whiteknee that successfully lifted off the lid to his container and snuck out. They didn't get far because I have all of my inverts in a self enclosed spider room.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Knock on wood - no escapes yet and 80 something T's! Came across this thread and thought it would be interesting as i think i've seen quite a few threads with people asking for help and advice on catching their escapees...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, We have had 3 escapes, the last one, a tiny B. emilia sling, was never found. The other two were a juvie GBB, which we caught after a heart stopping twenty minutes, and my male A. purpurea Kala, during rehousing when he was a small sling. (R.I.P)
This October I will have been in the hobby 2 years and now we have 75 T's.

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the Hobby, on and off, for 30 years. Currently over 175 Tarantulas and 8 Scorpions. I've only had around 6 escapes and recovered all but 2.