Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Yes, escape(s) and over 50 tarantulas

Votes: 38 13.4%

• Total voters

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Escapees

:mad: I have been in the hobby about 3 years,and have had 1-escapee,an Indian violet 1/2'',still have no idea how or when it got loose. I can only figure it was during the feeding rotation,and I have never seen it since,but I am always looking!!!! later-Karl (34T's)

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had no escapes and over 100 tarantulas. But then again I've only been in the hobby for 8 or 9 months.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Been in the hobby for just over a year. 60+ T's give or take. Been careful.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Been keeping spiders for about ten years, and currently own 80+ speicies. I only had one stupid accedent with some s'lings busting out of a incubater. :wall:

A while back I also woke up to me biggest T. blondi sitting on my bedroom floor. Luckly she was right out in the open, and easy to catch. I didnt fully push the lock down on her tank, the night before. :8o

While cleaning tanks, or taking pics, ect ... I've had a few take off, that where easily captured soon after.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
About three years...30 something :? Ts at present, and two escapes from the same T, a P.murinus sling when I first got him 3 years ago. A tiny section of the lid was bendable to him, and just gave him enough room to squeeze out...I figured it out the second time, as I saw him do it. Reminded me of how mice can get through tiny holes.

That's it so far...knock on wood.

My female H.gigas will also leave her burrow on occasion and stick her fangs through the lid and try to bend it. Thankfully it wasn't mesh.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just about three years in, around 30 Ts, and no real escapes yet. Numerous short runs by P. murinus or P. regalis during cage maintenance though.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got under 50 T's, been keeping T's since October and I've had no escapes. Have had a few fun chases during tank maintenence and moving new ones into their homes. :rolleyes:

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
ive got about 35T's and still no escapes. im crossing my fingers and checking my lids.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been in the hobby for 7 years now with 11 T's. I havne't had any escapes. I had a close call one night though. I left the lid to one of my A. avic's opened all night. I woke up the next morning and saw it open and freaked out! He was still in his web though. *phew*

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Around four years, 12 spiders now, circa four escapes. (The P.pulcher sling one was the worst, eventhough the one when my adult female parahybana moved behind the immovable wardrobe was also pretty fun.)

Three because of carelessnes, one because of unexpected Lasiodora strength.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At the moment I have 40 T's, with a couple more coming next week (YES! A P. metallica! :D ) and have never had an escape. I have had over 200 in the past. I have been keeping T's about 5 years now.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a few escapes over the years, but in all cases I found the spider. Most happened when I had alot of t´s - over 150. Havent had any for a while except a Phoneutria got loose while packing. Not fun.

/Lelle

mo_2

Arachnopeon
I have 30 T's and been in the hobby for 5 years. had only one escape of a G.rosea due to carelessness. found her next day (luckily as my roommates were helping look with baseball bats) she was under a piece of cage carpet.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
2500+, at least a hundred loose at the moment!

I guess it goes without saying that when you have a couple thousand tarantulas you have plenty of escapes. Most are due to my A.D.D. and increasing senility ;) Over 30+ years I have let many tarantulas (and reptiles) free; some even intentionally.

Swifty sent me 25 N. chromatus spiderlings recently in one deli cup and I loosened the cap before getting distracted by something else. The next morning I found the empty cup! They were tiny little specks and I haven't found a single one.

Yesterday I opened one of the cabinets in my shop's kitchenette and an ultimate male P. rufilata was on the inside of the cabinet door. I had no idea he was even loose. As I quickly went to my packing bench to grab a deli cup to trap him with I saw his gallon jar sitting there without a top on it.

The best story of all though goes back to my old shop on the other side of town. I caught a 5" female P. striata on my ceiling one night after the lights had gone out. She escaped when she was 2"! :eek: Plenty of loose roaches for her to feed on...

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. :wall:

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited:

Kittycat784

Arachnopeon
only 7 T's and one Scorp.

no escapes yet. but I had a near escape when I bought my P. Lugardi. I didn't know exactly what it was and took the lid off the tank and moved the water dish (it was under it) and it moved very quickly to the top of the tank and almost got out, I was lucky though and got the lid on before he made it. YES! :rolleyes:

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only 3 T's, I've been keeping them for about 8 or 9 months now and so far crosses fingers no escapes. Tape is a wonderful thing lol.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First escape, an OBT of course.

Its behind a bookself right now, taped the sides up will capture it tomorrow.

There goes my shining record! Note though that it was from a communal enclosure, I think that may buy me a little grace. ;)

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I voted wrong. I put over 50 Ts and no escapes but i have had 2 altho 1 was actual before i was married and it was my husband and one was mine! I forgot about both tbh!!!! Over 100 T's 3 years give or take and 2 escapee's. Before we were married and were still living apart my husband left the lid open on his G rosea ultimate males tank. Bob only went a few inches from his enclosure in a dark warm nook near his tank. At that time i was a raving arachnophobic so wasnt impressed at all.
I recently lost a Hemericus inflatus sling thru a crack in a film pot. I thought he wouldnt fit thru it :wall: :wall: :wall:

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, years ago I had this one male G.rosea, Bob, who was a habitual offeneder . . . but I always knew just where to find him; he would always hangout behind the fridge. I have no idea how he got out, I mean I even resorted to rubber-banding the latch to the only door to his enclosure - but he always did.
I've been keeping tarantulas off and on for 12 years. I currently have 12 T's, no recent escapes.