Escape, Molt and Demise

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I went to tend to the crawly kiddies today, and found that the LP sling has molted (looks like now is 1.5'', maybe 2). Pics may come later.

When I was misting the various vials, I found that my H Mac can really move when he wants; first he scurried up my arm into my sleeve, and when I carefully removed my shirt, I saw him scurry up into the neck of the shirt (while I was still in it, truly a heart-jumper, seeing an H Mac in the shirt with you, your face inches from it), when I got out of the shirt, I couldn't find the H Mac. He's out and about, and my room, while small, is a treasure trove of hiding places for a creature his size.

When I opened the lid to mist my Blondi's cup, I found him in the death curl. I'm not sure what killed it; he was well fed (a whole cricket last week), and water wasn't really an issue. I could guess the heat in my room, but is 30 degrees (around 88 F) enough to kill a T? The rest of the slings and spiders seem to be doing fine. Either way, that's 200$ I barely got to enjoy :(

There are no heat sources in my room (unless you count the Computer and TV, but those are kept off when unneeded), and the rest of the house (even the room next door) are kept at a cooler 20 degrees (68-ish F). I'm at a loss to explain why my room, with two fans, a shaded window (an awning like curtain on the outside) with the window open would be so warm. Even the temperature OUTSIDE is cooler than my room. This is the first death, however and I'm not sure what exactly caused it.

jme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T blondi are a bit harder to keep i would never buy a sling in this species atleast not untill i have years of experience i also wouldnt spend 200 bucks on one of these little guys :eek:

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Larger specimens are harder to ship, mainly because they're larger specimens :p

Besides, given the availability of these in Canada, 200$ was a good price. I can get a 6" one for 150$, but I doubt this dealer knows how to safely ship such a large T.

Besides, I wanted to see them grow :)

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your blondi loss. How big was the H maculata? And how you gonna sleep soundly with it loose in your bedroom? :eek: Hope it turns up, and not in a bad way!

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your blondi loss. How big was the H maculata? And how you gonna sleep soundly with it loose in your bedroom? :eek: Hope it turns up, and not in a bad way!
It was only an inch big, but being that close to my face, I didn't wanna be bitten!

I sleep during the day, I doubt he'll cross the room to my bed in daylight, and i work nights. Either he found a corner of my room to his liking, or he scurried under the door and went elsewhere while I was at work.

I just got rid of my cats too, so there's no fear of a mishap, either. Unless he attacks my rabbit in his cage while i'm away.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found the H Mac...he was on the wall behind my TV unit. Appears he's molted somewhere, he's larger than I remember.