Eresidae breeding habits

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone, i was curious if anyone has any photos or a breeding report of some type regarding the breeding habits of a species of spider in eresidae. Specifically the matriphagy(mom eating) aspect, has anyone seperated slings before they killed and ate the mom? If so did they fare well or begin to drop like flies? If seperated did the mom produce another fertile eggsac afterwards or did she die?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
You cannot successfully separate the slings from the mom and expect all parties to survive. Those babies are delicate like water balloons when hatching. Or let me put it another way - once the female lays fertilized eggs, the clock starts ticking. she WILL die. Her body is programmed to follow that path. It's an important part of the genus' life history. The babies take advantage of the available food nearby and emerge more resilient from the nest as a result.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
You cannot successfully separate the slings from the mom and expect all parties to survive. Those babies are delicate like water balloons when hatching. Or let me put it another way - once the female lays fertilized eggs, the clock starts ticking. she WILL die. Her body is programmed to follow that path. It's an important part of the genus' life history. The babies take advantage of the available food nearby and emerge more resilient from the nest as a result.
This is exactly the info i was looking for, i wasnt sure if its like she would continue to survive and produce more eggsacs if they were pulled before she was eaten but its fascinating to know that she is going to die regardless.