Eratigena atrica hatchlings what to do?

jant

Arachnopeon
img_0682.jpg img_0677.jpg
so it started a month ago when i found this pretty big (for around here) spider in a corner of my grandparents tool shed so i took a picture ff to today
i open the same shed to get the lawnmower out and check if the spider is still there
its gone web left there even got a bit dirty so it looked like the spider had not been keeping it clean but there were 3 eggsacs which i was told to destroy but i decided to take them with me since that spider looked pretty cool and i actually like them for keeping flys mosquitos and moths away
so i thought id take them with me and release them in my yard so they maybe could keep the other pesky insects away
so i put them into a small plastic box with fresh mown lawn to coussion them and take them home
few hours later i open the container about 30 little spiderlings
i transfered a few into other containers so the one wouldnt get too crowded i put some regular soil and a bit of grass in them and sealed them with cling film so they wouldnt run about (poked small holes with a needle to get air in)

i thought i might keep one or two since spiders seem to be pretty easy to maintain and i kinda liked this one what ive read so far is that they are funnel weavers that like it mostly dry in a corner or something similar and also they are pretty fast but not dangerous for humans or pets and reluctant to bite and rather flee

so my questions are
1 when should i relese most of these slings they are tiny at the moment
2 when do i need to feed them the first time and how
3 how do i provide water for them and the grown ones spray of water or soaked cotton maybe a tiny bowl
4 and what else should i know/do

i just created this account bc i just ended up this day with like 30 or more Eratigena atrica hatchlings so if you took the time to read through thank you

jan

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
its gone web left there even got a bit dirty so it looked like the spider had not been keeping it clean but there were 3 eggsacs which i was told to destroy but i decided to take them with me since that spider looked pretty cool and i actually like them for keeping flys mosquitos and moths away
Thank you for saving the egg sacs!

1 when should i relese most of these slings they are tiny at the moment
You can release the spiderlings any time. As with most spiders, Eratigena atrica spiderlings disperse soon after emerging from their sac. They are born with all of the tools they need to survive. They do not need the company of their siblings or the care of their mother.

If they are confined, they will begin to cannibalize each other. Although it sounds cruel, you can also reduce them to a more manageable number (and get the ones you want to keep to a larger size) by letting them cannibalize each other.

When releasing them, they prefer sheltered areas, such as manmade structures or objects.

2 when do i need to feed them the first time and how
You might try tiny prey like flightless fruit flies. Once the sling starts building a web, place the prey in the web.

3 how do i provide water for them and the grown ones spray of water or soaked cotton maybe a tiny bowl
They get most of their water from their prey, but you can supplement that by dripping water onto the web.

4 and what else should i know/do
This species is easy to care for. Just provide a container with some anchor points for webbing. Periodically offer small prey (ideally no bigger than the spider's abdomen) and water. (Avoid ants, as many species can bite or sting, and they contain formic acid, which is unpalatable to many predators.)

jant

Arachnopeon
Thank you for saving the egg sacs!

You can release the spiderlings any time. As with most spiders, Eratigena atrica spiderlings disperse soon after emerging from their sac. They are born with all of the tools they need to survive. They do not need the company of their siblings or the care of their mother.

If they are confined, they will begin to cannibalize each other. Although it sounds cruel, you can also reduce them to a more manageable number (and get the ones you want to keep to a larger size) by letting them cannibalize each other.

When releasing them, they prefer sheltered areas, such as manmade structures or objects.

You might try tiny prey like flightless fruit flies. Once the sling starts building a web, place the prey in the web.

They get most of their water from their prey, but you can supplement that by dripping water onto the web.

This species is easy to care for. Just provide a container with some anchor points for webbing. Periodically offer small prey (ideally no bigger than the spider's abdomen) and water. (Avoid ants, as many species can bite or sting, and they contain formic acid, which is unpalatable to many predators.)
thanks for the infos i might have to accept alittle cannibalism since i dont have enough small containers atm and need some sort of setup for them rn they are in small vases and glasses

Last edited: