ENTIRE collection disposed of !!!

Ts are #1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Holy shnit im so sorry!!! it makes me mad when people dont understand how much you love something but they dont understand that. And maybe you can ask her to buy you all the tarantulas you lost back, and again im so sorry

Last edited:

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did she just let the t's go outside, then throw the tanks out, or just throw the tanks out with the t's in them? Either way, that sucks and you have every right to be totally pissed as i would think any "critter" that you kept has some impotance to you, especially if you lived with her she should of realized and at least called you or left them alone. Did she think she was doing you a favour or something by getting rid of them?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww man, Bianca, I'm sorry about this. Its almost incomprehensible, that someone would be so inconsiderate. Even if they weren't pets or even living creatures, just your property, it would be so disrespectful. But that they were animals in your care and just disposed of like garbage, I just can't put to words what that is :mad: :mad: :mad:

Again, you have my condolences :(

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune.
PM sent.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phone the Humane society on her. She might be charged with mistreatment of animals.

Add up the price of replacement costs and present her with a bill.

Edit; Didn't see she was your grandma:( Guess I wouldn't be this harsh. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think inverts are really covered by the ASPCA, but you may have a chance with the crestie.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I certainly don't condone violence or retaliation against Granny ~ after all ~ she's from a completely different generation who probably sees T's as merely "yucky spiders".
This in no way lessens the impact of losing your entire collection of PETS, however.
I'm pretty sure that there's plenty of us around to help you get back what you had - even though it doesn't diminish the loss of the individuals.

I am so darned sorry, I just don't know what to say. :(

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm so sorry! I do have a question about your grandma...is she stable mentally? If not, that could explain what happened. This is not a joke! When people begin to get dementia or alzheimers they tend to do some pretty crazy things. It's like something upstairs isn't connected anymore. Just curious.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm so sorry! I do have a question about your grandma...is she stable mentally? If not, that could explain what happened. This is not a joke! When people begin to get dementia or alzheimers they tend to do some pretty crazy things. It's like something upstairs isn't connected anymore. Just curious.
Good observation. Very astute. Granny may not have meant direct harm. She may have believed she was in some way actually helping you out by "disposing of" your pets?

Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, I know...but to understand all ~ is to forgive all. ♥

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The real question is whether you want to create a rift between yourself and your grandma. The benefit is you might be able to get her to pay for your collection. Of course, you need to consider whether she's capable of doing that. If she's got a nice amount of money that's one thing, if she's living off social security that's another. If she can't pay, then there's nothing to be done. No sense creating family tension for no benefit, just don't give her the opportunity to do anything like that again.

If she can pay, you still have to consider whether it's worth the cost. The cost being family tension. If you're estranged you might as well consider small claims court, since the relationship is meaningless.

As far as the loss, it's sad. I would rant too regardless of whether or not I had any recourse.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good observation. Very astute. Granny may not have meant direct harm. She may have believed she was in some way actually helping you out by "disposing of" your pets?

Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, I know...but to understand all ~ is to forgive all. ♥
They're right, as bad as you feel and wish ill will (not truly), she really may not realize what she's done. Or it may be that because she doesn't see the worth in tarantulas (as is often the case with older generations), she may not understand how she made you feel. Doesn't make it right and doesn't help your feelings but well, at least it wasn't out of spite to you and your Ts. I dunno, I just hope she was in control of her faculties and it was just a misunderstanding and she has been supremely apologetic. Dementia/alzheimers is horrible and honestly worse than your lost Ts (please don't take me harsh for that :( )

revoltkid

Arachnopeon
very good post, my grandma has the beginning stages of dementia and my grandpa had alzheimers,and ive seen the effects
so it wont surprise me that IF this is the case, then her actions went really her fault
but if this isnt the case, then man.....thats just wrong
RIP little critters :(

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow. Sorry for the loss though I don't think my condolences are going to help much. Provided your grandma's mental health is in order, I'd ask for her to at least cover the costs of the collection. Though replacing the spiders won't make you feel better, it will at least be a step in the right direction. Though you have stated you were upset, even once the initial shock has worn off, I find it hard to believe that your relationship will be untainted after this.

MrRogers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So sorry to hear about your situation.... I remember how tough it was to get ridd of my little Rosie willingly. I wish you the best rebuilding your collection as hard as it will be.

On a side note I'm very moved by members (Warren et al) who wish to send you some slings to help build your collection again. Hopefully it's going to help!

Loudog760

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HOLY <edit>! I got so mad from reading this. I just... don't understand. I don't even like to think what those T went threw it makes me sick. I feel for you because my mom dose the same <edit> sometimes. Luckily it hasn't been anything alive yet but stuff that is very important to me she has thrown away with out thought. This scars me because if my mom found out about how many T's I had she might do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, god! That would be like coming home to find that my horses (my broodmare and my absolutely beloved 2 year old) were sold or put on a slaughter truck bound for the border. I cannot imagine the feelings of betrayal, despair, and utter sadness you must be feeling.

*hugs* love. I... I have no words worthy of your grief. Mourn your dearies well.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im so sorry, but remember there are lots of Ts and very few grandmas.

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry For Your Loss

Well,I'm a Noob here and my experience so far buying stuff for my T's has been an adventure with People's attitude's....when I say this is for a Tarantula most of them..... well,they get creeped out. What was done to you well,words fail me! I'm so sorry for your loss BUT I think its worth the time spent to go and look for them if, you know where she tossed them..... they may still be in their containers.

Mr. Gone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is insane. I'm assuming she had no problems with your T's when you lived there or you wouldn't have left them there.

I would definitely try to look for them at the dump-site. You may have to call a few numbers, starting with the trash people; find out what truck was at that house on that day, and where it unloaded. I wouldn't expect to find much, but I would have to try. Now that it's 2 days later, I don't know if there would be much hope. If you explain to the right people what happened, and that we're talking about "venomous Tarantulas", maybe they will be more helpful, as the idea of tarantulas running amok is frightening to many people.

In any event, I would hit granny up with a bill. The enclosures themselves would add up, plus supplies; but the creatures inside are priceless. Providing mental health isn't the issue, she sounds like she's just being spiteful about something. She apparently doesn't respect your emotional attachment to your PETS, so you need to make her understand in numbers and dollars how much you had invested (tanks, dirt, decor, critters, heat mats, lights, gauges, anything and everything) and that she destroyed your investment of X dollars.

I'm also curious what your choice words for her were. If it was anything like: "What were you thinking, these are my babies that I've raised since they were tiny for x years", then I would like to know her response to that. I mean, how could she?

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I felt tears while reading your post :( I know that only time can dull the shock now. Having your own babies destroyed by someone else is one thing... but coming from a family member adds a whole new axis of conflict. I'm speechless. All my thoughts are of you and your babies.

Take care,
Rosie