enough heat for Asian Forest scorp?

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Ok, I have a 5.5 gallon tank with lots of hides, lots of peat moss, water, a couple of crickets. I have the top of the screen tank clear taped almost completely to help keep the humidity up, does this sound ok? I have a nightlight ballast with a 7 watt bulb in it during the day (so I can see him) & at night I have a 75 watt night bulb (for heat & to simulate night light) Sound ok? Now I also have an 8 watt heater pad for the side of the tank. The temp. gauge says 75. From what Ive read this isnt enough heat. What am I not doing correct? Should I switch him to my 10 gallon with a heat light? What wattage? Thanks,Kim
:?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Based on the size of the tank and all the heating elements you've described, I would say your thermometer is busted or you're keeping the whole setup in the freezer. By all rights, a 75-watt night bulb on a 5.5 gallon tank should be enough to bake your scorpion into a crispy desert. Get yourself a reliable thermometer and use it to aim for the 80-90F range, always leaving the chance of escaping the heat (and preferably with a nighttime drop).

Cheers,
Dave

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Be careful with taping up all the ventilation. That runs a high risk for mold to grow much faster, but is usually the measure we all have to take. In my emp tank I let the top 1" of soil go completely dry the rest never seems. That way I have lots of ventilation and the humidity is just right underground and the ambient humidity to me doesn't matter :). So if the scorpion wants humidity they can retreat to their burrows which go to the very bottom of the tank. I still mist once every two weeks.