Endagr8's Robc-esque Fossorial Enclosures

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are some five gallon enclosures I put together for obligate burrowers with modifications to the dimensions of the Robc style door pieces. Unfortunately, none of these are occupied at the moment. I do regret drilling holes in the acrylic for ventilation. Comments/criticism appreciated. :)

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those look very nice, them holes look a bit big.
Thanks. :)
I agree with both comments. Could you add screen of some sort maybe?
They're half an inch, which is just big enough for an adult male B. dubia to fit through, unfortunately. A fat enough female B. dubia wouldn't stand a chance though, and neither would the tarantulas I would house in them. And I wish I would have done screen when I built these. At the time I didn't want to shell out the extra money for the aluminum mesh vents. I regretted that decision as soon as nearly thirty H. lividum spiderlings escaped one night. If my B. dubia colony ever ails enough to where I have to resort to feeding off males I might just Saran wrap the bottom holes at every feeding. If I ever attempt to breed any of the inhabitants of these tanks, I'll probably hot glue in some mesh if I can't just snag the sac from the female. :)

I'm gonna keep an eye out for good deals on H. gigas, P. muticus, E. murinus, E. cyanognathus, H. lividum, and H. schmidti females so I can finally put some animals in these tanks! :)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking tanks! If they were mine I would probably remove about an inch of substrate. I am afraid your burrowers will pile substrate against you door, which will a pain when you try to open it.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great looking tanks! If they were mine I would probably remove about an inch of substrate. I am afraid your burrowers will pile substrate against you door, which will a pain when you try to open it.
Thanks for the suggestion! This was indeed an issue when one of these housed a MF H. vonworthi. I started a burrow right next to the plexiglass so I could see all the excavation to come. Every time I would open the door bits of peat moss would fall out. But when one of them was occupied by H. lividum, this wasn't an issue, since I started a pre-burrow directly in the center of the tank.

Miami Cracker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try hot glueing stainless steel screen over the vent holes ...you can cut the screen to fit perfectly and just be carefule with the glue gun and it will look great.......thats what I do for all of mine.........