Enclosures

mcap

Arachnopeon
Hi! Finally got my first two T's, a chaco golden knee and a p. metallica, set up in enclosures. I've trying to follow everything I've been reading and was just hoping to get some feed back. Would I be needing a water dish? I'm from the tropics and the room is normally close to 70% humidity.

image.jpg IMG_2609.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't really believe in keeping humid species dry based off of the humidity in the room. Unless the cage is made of screen, that doesn't apply.

Add dishes and overflow the Metallica's weekly or bi-weekly.

Add a proper hide for the metallica. That's basically a stick.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, always supply a water dish if you can, they still need to drink every now and again.

Also, for the P. metallica setup I'd recommend getting a large/flat piece of bark and leaning it against one of the back corners of the enclosure so that it can hide, lack of cover tends to result in a stressed spood.

cold blood

Staff member
First ts ever? G. pulchripes, splended choice....P. metallica, well thats a bad choice bordering on a stupid choice.

Yes, provide water....always provide water.

Poecs prefer a little moisture, your humid area means you will need to add less water less frequently as it will take longer to dry out. Its as easy as dampening when things get dry.

The G. pulchripes should be kept dry with just the water dish.

Good luck.

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
i dont have one personally but im pretty sure if you use common sense with your P. metallica you should be fine and yes, get a bigger hide for your P. metallica

cold blood

Staff member
i dont have one personally but im pretty sure if you use common sense with your P. metallica you should be fine and yes, get a bigger hide for your P. metallica
Yeah, people without or with minimal experience say this all the time...those experienced, tend to ask new keepers to wait...and for good reason...they grow fast, faster than a new keeper will...and one day its a different animal...and then you need to re-house it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
To be fair, there's much worse genera out there. Least pokies tend to be chill.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Yeah, people without or with minimal experience say this all the time...those experienced, tend to ask new keepers to wait...and for good reason...they grow fast, faster than a new keeper will...and one day its a different animal...and then you need to re-house it.
Is keeping spiders the biggest risk you take in life? Serious question...

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Hi! Finally got my first two T's, a chaco golden knee and a p. metallica, set up in enclosures. I've trying to follow everything I've been reading and was just hoping to get some feed back. Would I be needing a water dish? I'm from the tropics and the room is normally close to 70% humidity.

View attachment 258267 View attachment 258266
You probably have gathered form the posts that people are questioning the p. metallica as a first spider. I’m new to the hobby but will explain what they mean in case you’re totally in the dark. The Metallica is an Old World tarantula which means that it has a seriously nasty bite. The venom is much stronger than the New World species like your Chaco.

The NW’s tend to be a bit more aggressive and quick to boot, so you will have to exercise caution when opening the habitat, and re-housing will require some serious study to do in a safe manner for both you and your T.

The venom won’t kill you (or do any lasting damage), but the pain is severe enough that many people end up going to the hospital. If you have pets or kids, the risk from a bite is more significant. Hopefully you know all this already from research or info supplied by the seller.

I personally would dissuade anyone from getting an OW as a first T as well, but you do have to be a bit realistic about the overall risk. Is it as risky as buying a new motorcycle? Not even close. Just be aware about the venom and pets/kids, and take caution with that guy. A bite would totally ruin your day.

Good luck!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 258267 View attachment 258266
Yes they need a water dish.

The P. metallica needs a better hide.

mcap

Arachnopeon
First ts ever? G. pulchripes, splended choice....P. metallica, well thats a bad choice bordering on a stupid choice.

Yes, provide water....always provide water.

Poecs prefer a little moisture, your humid area means you will need to add less water less frequently as it will take longer to dry out. Its as easy as dampening when things get dry.

The G. pulchripes should be kept dry with just the water dish.

Good luck.

I've had slings before but I had to sell them before they even got out of the deli cup so I don't think that counts. I wasn't planning on getting the P. metallica at first but both Ts were being sold together for a very good price as the guy was quitting.

The speed surprised me at first but I haven't any trouble with it. Feeding has been fine, it molted as soon as I got it, and I've rehoused it.

But anyway thanks for the help!

mcap

Arachnopeon
Yeah, always supply a water dish if you can, they still need to drink every now and again.

Also, for the P. metallica setup I'd recommend getting a large/flat piece of bark and leaning it against one of the back corners of the enclosure so that it can hide, lack of cover tends to result in a stressed spood.
I have one but I'm not sure if it's adequate. Sorry it's not really seen in the photo but that piece of wood is thicker than it seems. It hangs on it a lot. I also have half a coconut pot on the other side so it has cover on the top side.

image.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
The speed surprised me at first but I haven't any trouble with it. Feeding has been fine, it molted as soon as I got it, and I've rehoused it.
As slings, aside from speed bursts, they are easy to deal with....so for the short term, you shouldn't have issues, its at about 3-5" when they can change into handfuls. You'rs looks about that size, and you have it in an enclosure it can use as an adult, and im glad it went well. Just always be sure to locate the t before opening, because that one in a million time you don't, it could be right there.

Housing tips.

The P. met, as people have said, needs a better place to hide. This can be on the ground...in fact its better off on the ground, although a second one elevated can also be offered, cork tubes can be attractive to them positioned vertically. I use large leaned wood, which give ample room for the t to get under. Make sure it has room for an adult to get under and/or into, a secure place or places can make things much easier.

I would stick to feeding crickets or other feeders that do not burrow.

With less experience, you really don't want or need to be in there trying to find and catch a burrowed worm or roach. Crushed heads also avoid this, anything that may burrow away should have its head crushed prior to feeding to prevent this.

G. pulchripes. Looks very nice...for now....pulchripes are notorious for moving everything around...they never stay like that...lol...ingrates:). Anyway, the hide is something I would change (or at least break). Hides should be 1. tighter fitting and 2. provide not just a place to hide, but a place to start a burrow under, therefore hides should never be dead ends.

If that pot was broken in half, it would be much more usable (and probably for many size ts). Also its best to partially bury the hide. Doing this is not only more attractive to the spider, but also allows you to cover much, if not most, of the hide with substrate, which makes the enclosure safer as you are essentially burying a fall risk.

You are going to love the pulchripes, they are a great spider to own...great appetites.