Enclosures Inspired by the legend "ROBC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'm all for Ts, but if I got that kind of shock, I'd throw the lid too. :eek: I've read too much bad press about pokie bites.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I'm all for Ts, but if I got that kind of shock, I'd throw the lid too. :eek: I've read too much bad press about pokie bites.
I've heard a lot of bad press about pit bull bites too but you don't see me throwing them on the ground. Do some reading and you'll find pokies aren't the vicious monsters you think they are.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Thanks so much! I can kind of understand his reaction. Like, he was expecting it to be under the padding, not on the lid. Still I'm happy it was okay,

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
You can't compare pitbull press to pokie press, pitbulls are domesticated animals that can empithize with human beings. Tarantulas are nothing more than wild animals that have been introduced into the pet trade, the don't have the ability to empathize or recognize. Tarantulas act off basic instincts alone, dogs do not. Your pitbull vs pokie claim has no validity.

@ OP, your enclosures are gorgeous, im sure your tarantulas will love them.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've heard a lot of bad press about pit bull bites too but you don't see me throwing them on the ground. Do some reading and you'll find pokies aren't the vicious monsters you think they are.
You're telling me that you wouldn't have reacted the same way if you had pulled a lid off a container, and unexpectedly found a pokie clinging to it?

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Nice tanks man! Yeah man xhexdx really knows how to derail a thread real quick...and I agree with everything sparkles said man this is an awesome forum but its people like xhexdx that ruin it with all the negative talk and agruing over nothing. Its funny no matter what your looking for if you read enough threads in any section on this forum you will find xhexdx talking down to someone or telling them their thread has already been discussed. To xhexdx man you say your tired of reading the same threads well how about you quit responding because I'm tired of reading your arguements with everyone!!!!!!!!!! I like to read about tarantulas and things on topic to the thread I clicked on not your ridiculous arguements about if Robc is a legend. Robc has done alot for this hobby maybe over youtube but who really cares.....he might be a legend to the OP once again who cares. I personally like his videos and his tanks so whatever!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're telling me that you wouldn't have reacted the same way if you had pulled a lid off a container, and unexpectedly found a pokie clinging to it?
No, I wouldn't have. I'd be giving the container my FULL attention, not flirting with the camera. Especially with an expensive, old world species.

Nice tanks man! Yeah man xhexdx really knows how to derail a thread real quick...and I agree with everything sparkles said man this is an awesome forum but its people like xhexdx that ruin it with all the negative talk and agruing over nothing. Its funny no matter what your looking for if you read enough threads in any section on this forum you will find xhexdx talking down to someone or telling them their thread has already been discussed. To xhexdx man you say your tired of reading the same threads well how about you quit responding because I'm tired of reading your arguements with everyone!!!!!!!!!! I like to read about tarantulas and things on topic to the thread I clicked on not your ridiculous arguements about if Robc is a legend. Robc has done alot for this hobby maybe over youtube but who really cares.....he might be a legend to the OP once again who cares. I personally like his videos and his tanks so whatever!
Trolling much?

Check this out:

To xhexdx man you say your tired of reading the same threads well how about you quit responding because I'm tired of reading your arguements with everyone!!!!!!!!!!
I love this stuff. Don't read my posts if you don't like them. ;)

Other than that, I really have nothing to say to you. Have a wonderful day!

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Wow....There is a very distinct and strong difference here armstrong....the difference is just this....very simple so follow along here,,,,ya still reading.... Joe [exhedx] really cares for the hobby and the wards of this hobby and he doew it without sensationalism... yeah he may get off the beaten track but from what I have seen over the years he has best the best of interests in mind......Robc....sensationalism...ya know that is what Stewart does in snl....ya know " see what I can do , look at me"....all the hobby needs is more getting bit by pokie videos
I also might add respect is an earned thing...Joe "might" not like me and I "might" not like him,,,,but there is respect there and he has mine....
so in retrospect are you gonna follow someone that sensationalises the hobby or someone that honestly cares.....
I also might add I have never been to any of the youtube crap because that is just what it is
oh yeah aaawwwwsssoommmee cages

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Joe (xhexdx) knows his stuff, he has experience and as already said, he truly cares about the hobby. The thing with Joe is, he doesn't sugarcoat every post and use a bunch of smileys, he is honest and to the point. Many people understand his posting style and appreciate it, but some people, like you Armstrong, seem to want to overreact to everything he says and take it to mean that he is being a jerk. That is far from the truth.

Joe, like many of us, can't stand misinformation, and it needs to be corrected, which is often what he is trying to do when people get offended by him. Our hobby is full of it, and it's not good for a hobby that already gets a lot of "bad press." He has the nerve to say what many of us want to but don't, but then gets flack for it.

If you don't like his posts don't read them, but people really need to try to get where he is coming from, grow some thicker skin and stop overreacting.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Hex sounds like a di$% and has vast knowledge on tarantulas & and Robc drops tarantulas but inspires people to become tarantula enthusiast. I think that covers it, yes? If only they could be built in to one educating, inspiring tarantula machine!

Transient

Arachnosquire
I don't understand why pointless things like this keep happening on this board. Is there really nothing better to do with your time? No one is going to want to take advice if it's sugar coated in bull. Yeah, I get that being asked the same things and seeing the same things is irritating. So ignore it. Let them find out for themselves because it's really making this an unpleasant place to visit.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I, for one, learned from the video. When you're unpacking a T, you assume that it resides within the central 'air pocket' that was provided for it in the tissue. However, it may have moved. It could be anywhere inside the container. That piece of information might save me a bite someday, or an injured T.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I, for one, learned from the video. When you're unpacking a T, you assume that it resides within the central 'air pocket' that was provided for it in the tissue. However, it may have moved. It could be anywhere inside the container. That piece of information might save me a bite someday, or an injured T.
That is quite correct, I would add, never rip lid off the container while unpacking venomous animals with out picking in, you never know whats in the container and where is it.
Always pick in first it may be right on the lid ...

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
great tanks.interesting thread..lol
who cares?i have been a hobbyist since '84 not trying to achieve any "legend"status,i have people i respect and those i don't.
if it helps the hobby awesome,if it just creates arguments,i ignore it..
(Bryant Capiz is my "legend",very unsung hero,who without him our hobby wouldn't be close to where it is,although not many people knew or even know who he was?)
hex has never offended or caused me to doubt his knowledge,with others i can't say the same..(no fingers pointed..lol)
Andy

Amoeba

Arachnolord
You can't compare pitbull press to pokie press, pitbulls are domesticated animals that can empithize with human beings. Tarantulas are nothing more than wild animals that have been introduced into the pet trade, the don't have the ability to empathize or recognize. Tarantulas act off basic instincts alone, dogs do not. Your pitbull vs pokie claim has no validity.
I'm inclined to disagree with you. My point was not that they are similar creatures but that they have both received bad press in the public eye, I'm sorry you took it this way.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that I wouldn't have been standing and talking when I knew I was dealing with *any* tarantula, especially one that I knew was as potent as a Poecilotheria. Also I'd rather take the bite than possibly kill something as expensive and "rare".

:biggrin: and now I think I'm coming off as holier than thou, hopefully Rob and everyone who watched that video learned from it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually, you assume they packed it with padding in between the spider and the lid. Judging from that video, it looks as if there was nothing separating the spider from the lid. If that is indeed the case, then I certainly wouldn't have credited the seller with a '100% positive' review, as this is a terrible packing method.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope, I would not have. i would have not only inspected the package, giving it my full attention, i wouldnt have been playing it up for the camera. after 2 decades of working with spiders and other inverts i have come to expect that they dont always stay in their nice little hollow under layers of paper. ive had them arrive all over the container, and usually not in their cute little pocket. this is something you come to expect with experience. and experience is always earned. i've never once dropped a spider or any other animal for the reason of surprise. it pay to put all of your attention into the animal youre working with, period.

as for the "canned" use the search function response...a lot of the reason the more experienced stop posting is because its the same question over and over, already answered.

i also have to agree with those defending joe. he says whats on his mind, he doesnt sugar coat anything to make it more palatable for those on these boards with thin skin. this is an intenet forum with 1000s of members. not every single one of us is going to be a sugary sweet nurturing soul that thinks they need to help everyone else. i work with animals for a living. ive worked with animals in a professional manner for pretty much my entire life. the last thing i want to do when i get home from work is coddle someone when with a few clicks and key words they can learn in 5 minutes what its taken some of us the better part of our lifetime to experience. this is the internet, thick skin is required, as is listening to those with experience, as opposed to those with a whole lot of theoretical knowledge and very little actual experience.

take it as you will.

J

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, you assume they packed it with padding in between the spider and the lid. Judging from that video, it looks as if there was nothing separating the spider from the lid. If that is indeed the case, then I certainly wouldn't have credited the seller with a '100% positive' review, as this is a terrible packing method.
Oh com on mister, it wasn't that terrible, definitely not is terrible as unpacking job, its a live animal not a rock, it does move and probably try to find an escape way out.
sometime when I pack animals to take them to the show for pick up, get to the show and they wiggle themselfs out the paper towel funnel and all happy with accomplishment sitting right on the top of it,
that vid dont really get in to much of details of packing, just my opinion

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joe (xhexdx) knows his stuff, he has experience and as already said, he truly cares about the hobby. The thing with Joe is, he doesn't sugarcoat every post and use a bunch of smileys, he is honest and to the point. Many people understand his posting style and appreciate it, but some people, like you Armstrong, seem to want to overreact to everything he says and take it to mean that he is being a jerk. That is far from the truth.

Joe, like many of us, can't stand misinformation, and it needs to be corrected, which is often what he is trying to do when people get offended by him. Our hobby is full of it, and it's not good for a hobby that already gets a lot of "bad press." He has the nerve to say what many of us want to but don't, but then gets flack for it.

If you don't like his posts don't read them, but people really need to try to get where he is coming from, grow some thicker skin and stop overreacting.
There are many ways to express honesty while also being direct that do not involve the use of sarcasm and/or mean-spirited comments. Based on my experience, being polite, considerate and respectful will not only ensure that others return the favor, but they also gain and/or retain more knowledge when they’re not being bludgeoned over the head with their own “idiocy.”

Not to beat a dead horse, but he’s entered many a topic to pointedly admonish a poster for not using the search function, while in others, he’ll enter to ask why a two year old thread is being resurrected. So, I’m left to ask, which is it, should we search every topic before posting - or – search for and add to preexisting ones? Because from where I’m standing, it would appear as though either action annoys him.

You can have all the knowledge in the world, but it’s useless unless you know how to share it. For examples, read a few of Comatose’s responses, not only are they informative, they’re also polite and respectful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.