Enclosures Inspired by the legend "ROBC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, he did at the Lower Mainland Arachnid Party I hosted. Which reminds me, I need to get those (few) photos up. [Edit: My bad, dyslexic moment, mistook Leviticus' name for LucasNorth. We tried taping a video of the presentation, but the battery died part way through on the camera. I will double check what my friend still has on his computer.]

As for the guide, it is a work in progress. I tend to get inconsistent waves of inspiration and work on it sporadically. This means it has very little done so far. I will be including various components like the topic I did on using Dwarf Tropical Woodlice. Perhaps I should release it bit by bit and then when it is finished combine it all into one large pdf that can be downloaded. It will not be completely like a scientific article/text book style, I throw in the facts and add my own personality and humor to it so it isn't an overly dry read. That may bother a few people, but will make it an easier read.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd definitely be interested to see the pictures as well as the guide(s).

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
I don't know if RobC is the best at keeping and breeding tarantulas or not. I don't know if he's a Legend or not. I know he inspired me to bite my lip and get into t's like i had wanted to since i was a kid. I know he's helped me with enclosure stuff. I know he hooked me up when i bought roaches from him. I know as far as legends go Stan Schultz is one. but that's as far as my knowledge goes on that subject.

I DO know that i used to participate a skateboard forum. One day, after many successful years, said forum became filled with people who just wanted to argue and bicker and trash talk and flame and troll. An epic, 300 inspired, battle ensued between mods and the hordes of trouble makers. The flamed responses became so numerous that the search function became useless. The battle still rages and even though it is the largest skateboard forum in the entire world and one of my sponsors I don't ever log on. It has become a sad place. I like this forum. It's still very new to me. People seem genuinely excited. I don't want to seem like a jerk or a troll but please don't ruin it for me. I like to learn things. There is so much here to learn. My experience working with forums is quite in depth as i moderated an electronics forum. I skateboard for a boarding forum. And, I frequent tarantula forums. I don't feel like this post is out of line. Though i don't always understand the structure of this forum and it may be ill placed by public standards, I don't know.

Just my .02

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ease off on the robc hate it's not like he calls himself a legend as far as i can tell. I honestly find his feeding videos entertaining and his tutorials informative and helpful. He seems to me like just another hobbiest, anyone can make videos of their spiders and setups and i think everyone should be encouraged to. Obviously he isnt really a legend but he is a face on the hobby to alot of people due to exposure i guess, like someone said a real legend would be out identifying new species or doing scientific research and what have you. Robc also seems to me like someone who struggles with a learning disability, if i had to guess i'd say ADHD and dislexia. I've known plenty of people with both and they were great people, but you gotta cut them some slack in some areas. Also based on some responses here it sounds like Robc has freaked out in immature ways in the past for being questioned or corrected in the past, that also sounds like a learning disability thing, although at his age i would hope he would have grown out of it by now.

Anyways those enclosures in the OP are beautiful, i'm currently working on a few like them right now and yes I'm using Robc's tutorials to help me out too.

Last edited:

kjm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great looking tanks!!! I have always liked "ROBC" setup.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
As much as i hate to agree with off topic arguments, I have to agree here. If you have SMS in any part of your resume, cover letter, or application i will throw it in the trash. How the hell do I even refer to SMS properly in a sentence? Let's just stop the hate and trash talking. I does us no good. I'm sorry but if your posts are in SMS or shorthand and you are upset over being bashed on about your grammar I am unable to see where you have any ground to stand on in that argument.

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
best. thread. ever.

anyways, nice cages, im sure whatever you put in there will be happy. are you having any mold problems?
if i were to reccomend anything for the empty tank id say lampropelma violaceopes, or c.schioedtei....both are good size, and my two girls are usualy out in the open. that or a p.rufilata...theyre absolutely gigantic.

Transient

Arachnosquire
You have alot of homework to do...
a lot*

Robc is a legend in that everyone seems to know who he is. By that definition, xhexdx, Synyster, Chris_Skeleton etc. are legends, too. Role models? Maybe, maybe not. But legends on AB, yes. People can do a lot of stupid things, but if they help at least a little to educate or get others interested, I think that's admirable (although it does not excuse idiocy).

The enclosures are well-made and nice to look at, so I think in this case Robc has done something helpful. Though, am I the only one who thinks he has too many videos of him touching molting spiders?

RockinOutAmber

Arachnosquire
Talk about a bunch of drama lamas... holy cow! I never knew so many men could be so catty.

On topic, OP your tanks are awesome. I hope to own a arboreal one day.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Talk about a bunch of drama lamas... holy cow! I never knew so many men could be so catty.

On topic, OP your tanks are awesome. I hope to own a arboreal one day.
Wait just a minute. We don't like your type around here, and meow I'm all upset! I'm going to complain about it for the rest of this post and carry it on into other forums until my hatred for you burns out, I cry myself to sleep in a chair naked with a gallon of ice cream melting in my lap.

On topic right meow: robc is a legend and If I was handling a T and he walked in I'd throw it on the ground to shake his hand.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You know, most people who were kids between early 70s - 90s here in Canada may remember growing up watching "Mr. Dressup"

In the show, Mr. Dressup, and some puppets would sing songs, draw things, make plays, and wear costumes; It was a typical children show.

Now, when you were a kid, Mr. Dressup was awesome.
He was a great artist! Try as you might to draw along with him, yours never looked even remotely good as his. No one could draw better than him.
Mr. Dressup could also write songs on the spot! And they rhymed and meant things! Amazing. Clearly this guy was some talent. He could probably make up any song on any topic whenever he wanted.
And you know what else? Mr. Dressup had a "tickle trunk" full of almost every costume imaginable. And if he didn't have it?
He'd pull out some construction paper, glue, paper cups, safety scissors and make one himself. You'd try, and you'd make a gluey, tapey mess.

Fast forward a few years and you're in elementary school. And hey, look at that, Mr. Dressup is on. You loved this guy as a kid. He was so talented and amazing, and could even draw a hor.. a horse?
But that doesn't look like a horse. Why are the legs so short? That's not very good. He's not that great of an artist, your friend could draw much better than that... And what's he doing now? Singing a song about horses!
But hey wait, he's only rhyming 'horse' with 'course' over and over, and it's sung to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Well that's not very impressive... your classmate made a song about puppies that was much better than that, and it rhymed too!
And now he's dressed up as a horse. He's wearing a brown cup over his nose, and is clapping two black cups on the counter. He just looks silly. After feeling a bit sad that Mr. Dressup isn't as amazing as you thought he was, you suddenly realize it's a show for children. Children who can't draw very well yet, or make up rhymes, or have lived through a few halloweens. Aside from being famous, and good with kids, Mr. Dressup was just a regular guy (as far as drawing, singing and dressing up) and isn't all that great at all those things after all. But hey, maybe he's part of the reason you're as good a drawer as you are now and why your friend is good at rhyming. Or not. But there's a good chance. He was on Public broadcasting, and everybody could see that even without cable.

So that's my story.

I just wanted to say that I think those enclosures look great.
If you asked me several years ago, I might have said they looked legendary!:p

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep hearing this name pop up once every few months. Who is this exactly? He must be the least well known legend I've ever heard talk of.
He runs a fairly popular youtube channel.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Can someone post the link tot he youtube video with the P. Metalica on the ground? I can't find it.

Also, I don't have any strong opinions one way or the other about RobC, but I find some of his videos interesting.

And to keep on topic, I really like the enclosures, and they do look a lot like Robs.

Transient

Arachnosquire
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.