Enclosure too small? Grammstola Porteri adult.

Factanonverba

Arachnopeon
Would an exo terra small breeding box (7x7x5 actual dimensions) be too small for a female? She currently resides in a 10x10x11 glass enclosure, which is a little too tall to fit on a shelf. I’m getting rid of some clutter around my room and need a smaller enclosure that will fit in the short space I plan to put her in.

I appreciate any insight, thank you.

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If that's her in the current enclosure, I wouldn't go any smaller. She'd have very little space to move around, and even though they're considered "pet rocks" they do wander around sometimes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If height is the only issue then get an Exo Terra medium flat Faunarium L14"xW8"xH6", I use them for all of my non-burrowing terrestrials.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Go for the large Exo Terra breeder box or similarly sized Faunarium. My adult is in an 8x14 acrylic enclosure, and I would never go any smaller. She likes to move around a lot at night and appreciates the space.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would an exo terra small breeding box (7x7x5 actual dimensions) be too small for a female? She currently resides in a 10x10x11 glass enclosure, which is a little too tall to fit on a shelf. I’m getting rid of some clutter around my room and need a smaller enclosure that will fit in the short space I plan to put her in.

I appreciate any insight, thank you.

Yes too small.

I keep my NW AFs in the Breeder Box Large

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Yes too small.

I keep my NW AFs in the Breeder Box Large
I like these as well. The irony is if you post a picture of it you'll get 12 responses about how you're a substrate Scrooge and don't have enough inches of sub. Ya can't win.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like these as well. The irony is if you post a picture of it you'll get 12 responses about how you're a substrate Scrooge and don't have enough inches of sub. Ya can't win.
I have a hide for mine. They are molting and doing fine. However, on occasion my G. pulchripes does try to burrow. I typically pile up the sub in one corner, no substitute for depth mind you. But she ends up making a "home" for herself.

The others appear fine w/cork hide I provide.

Factanonverba

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the responses. I decided to go with the large breeding box and got New substrate to try out, lugarti? She doesn’t know yet what to think of it and stays on top of the hide mostly. She does the same thing whenever I would swap out the coco coir though. I’m sure given a few more days she’ll cover it with webbing.

Attachments

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I appreciate the responses. I decided to go with the large breeding box and got New substrate to try out, lugarti? She doesn’t know yet what to think of it and stays on top of the hide mostly. She does the same thing whenever I would swap out the coco coir though. I’m sure given a few more days she’ll cover it with webbing.
Sounds like overpriced peat moss mix to me. I'm also more than a little suspicious at the number of YouTubers "reviewing" this stuff randomly. Suggests a kick-back.....

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would still bury that hide so they can get on top of it more comfortably.
I only have one tarantula with that hide and that is because she came with it. It adds a few more inches of space for them if it is more flush with the surface.
DSC02293-2.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The irony is if you post a picture of it you'll get 12 responses about how you're a substrate Scrooge and don't have enough inches of sub. Ya can't win.
I completely disagree. If that turned out to be the case, both the t and the keeper would both be better off because of those responses. Lots of ts are in better shape today, because the owner posted pics and was then able to fix or improve the ts situation.