1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosure too large?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Asgiliath, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I picked up this (male, I assume) A. Avic from the exotics shop where I get feeders last week. I already had the enclosure so I put him in it (for now). I already have plans to replace the screen lid, if I do keep them in there.

It just seems very large for that spider. He’s been clinging to the wall and not really utilizing the plant cover...also hasn’t eaten which I think might have something to do with the enclosure size.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

size looks fine...issue is top only ventilation....this provides almost no air movement/flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnoknight

Utah
    As someone who houses all their tarantulas in overly large containers from the get go I will say that I have never had any issues. Right now I have 2 slings in the same zoo med enclosures as you. An H.mac and a P.ornata. the H.mac went right to work creating dirt curtains behind the cork bark and even burrowed below it a bit. It has molted twice and is a ravenous eater. The ornata made a burrow system at the base of the cork bark and some dirt curtains as well. It has also molted a couple times and is a great eater. I would just say it needs more time to settle.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Asgiliath

I should probably look for a tall plastic container that I can drill holes into.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hoxter

Hoxter Arachnosquire Active Member

China
    Agreed with @cold blood , avics need good ventilation to survive. I don't think checking whether it's enough is worth the risk.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I saw the label on the tank, species names aren't capitalized, genus are. If you wanted to be more exact, you'd have both names in italics too.

Takes time for Ts to get used to new home, you need to be more patient.

Size of tank is fine.

What makes you think it isn't good? Curious to know what your brain is thinking, and WHY.

However, more foliage would be useful.

7. Asgiliath

My boyfriend made the label at his job...but, thanks...i’ll replace it when I can.

I dunno, I just wanted some opinions on the size because I know space can affect behavior, stress level, ability to locate prey etc.

(You’re quite intense lol)

8. viper69

Didn't your bf also have your albo escape too? Maybe another user...

On size and prey, true-- LARGE containers with a small T decreases prey/predator interactions unless you flood container w/insects like the wild.

Asking questions is intense to you?????

9. Asgiliath

Haha no it’s not...
    And YUP that was the same boyfriend.....he’s supportive just uhhh

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. viper69

Supportive is a kind word hahaahahah

What in my response prompted you to say I'm intense???

11. Asgiliath

Lol I don’t even know...maybe the “WHY”. I wasn’t saying it in a bad way.

So, I just got a tall plastic container but it’s about twice the size of the enclosure I have now. Best thing I could find. Should that work? I’d post a picture of it but my phone camera doesn’t work and I’m alone here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  12. viper69

Yes, I was emphasizing why with all caps, intense? Not at all, merely proper use of a capital letter. At times I like to know what makes someone think something on the board because at times it leads to a course correction for the better.

You don't even know why you typed something...my god. I HOPE your Ts survive over there.

About 5-8" at most is all you need in additional height.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  13. Asgiliath

Hmm I’ll make it work. I’m just overly focused on the size because the spider is so damn tiny and hasn’t eaten (worried about them being able to find prey)...but maybe a little large is better than not enough ventilation.

14. viper69

Poor vent kills Avics faster than lightning relative to other species.

15. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Asgiliath

This setup seems much better...I’m just worried that they are in the substrate looking stressed ?

(The T is the little lump in the left corner.) EB254EBD-77D1-4DB0-A3F2-06F9A24DDEE1.jpeg

17. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Looks awesome. The spider is stressed because of the rehouse and being in a new environment again. ;)
    Just top off the waterdish and put it somewhere shady/dark and quiet. Just leave it alone for a day of three, it'll come around and start webbing in no time :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

The enclosure size is pretty perfect for that T, not quite too big but roomy.