Enclosure too large?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I picked up this (male, I assume) A. Avic from the exotics shop where I get feeders last week. I already had the enclosure so I put him in it (for now). I already have plans to replace the screen lid, if I do keep them in there.

It just seems very large for that spider. He’s been clinging to the wall and not really utilizing the plant cover...also hasn’t eaten which I think might have something to do with the enclosure size.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
size looks fine...issue is top only ventilation....this provides almost no air movement/flow.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
As someone who houses all their tarantulas in overly large containers from the get go I will say that I have never had any issues. Right now I have 2 slings in the same zoo med enclosures as you. An H.mac and a P.ornata. the H.mac went right to work creating dirt curtains behind the cork bark and even burrowed below it a bit. It has molted twice and is a ravenous eater. The ornata made a burrow system at the base of the cork bark and some dirt curtains as well. It has also molted a couple times and is a great eater. I would just say it needs more time to settle.

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Agreed with @cold blood , avics need good ventilation to survive. I don't think checking whether it's enough is worth the risk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I picked up this (male, I assume) A. Avic from the exotics shop where I get feeders last week. I already had the enclosure so I put him in it (for now). I already have plans to replace the screen lid, if I do keep them in there.

It just seems very large for that spider. He’s been clinging to the wall and not really utilizing the plant cover...also hasn’t eaten which I think might have something to do with the enclosure size.
I saw the label on the tank, species names aren't capitalized, genus are. If you wanted to be more exact, you'd have both names in italics too.

Takes time for Ts to get used to new home, you need to be more patient.

Size of tank is fine.

What makes you think it isn't good? Curious to know what your brain is thinking, and WHY.

However, more foliage would be useful.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I saw the label on the tank, species names aren't capitalized, genus are. If you wanted to be more exact, you'd have both names in italics too.

Takes time for Ts to get used to new home, you need to be more patient.

Size of tank is fine.

What makes you think it isn't good? Curious to know what your brain is thinking, and WHY.

However, more foliage would be useful.
My boyfriend made the label at his job...but, thanks...i’ll replace it when I can.

I dunno, I just wanted some opinions on the size because I know space can affect behavior, stress level, ability to locate prey etc.

(You’re quite intense lol)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My boyfriend made the label at his job...but, thanks...i’ll replace it when I can.

I dunno, I just wanted some opinions on the size because I know space can affect behavior, stress level, ability to locate prey etc.

(You’re quite intense lol)
Didn't your bf also have your albo escape too? Maybe another user...

On size and prey, true-- LARGE containers with a small T decreases prey/predator interactions unless you flood container w/insects like the wild.

Asking questions is intense to you?????

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Didn't your bf also have your albo escape too? Maybe another user...

On size and prey, true-- LARGE containers with a small T decreases prey/predator interactions unless you flood container w/insects like the wild.

Asking questions is intense to you?????
Haha no it’s not...
And YUP that was the same boyfriend.....he’s supportive just uhhh

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha no it’s not...
And YUP that was the same boyfriend.....he’s supportive just uhhh
Supportive is a kind word hahaahahah

What in my response prompted you to say I'm intense???

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Lol I don’t even know...maybe the “WHY”. I wasn’t saying it in a bad way.

So, I just got a tall plastic container but it’s about twice the size of the enclosure I have now. Best thing I could find. Should that work? I’d post a picture of it but my phone camera doesn’t work and I’m alone here.

Supportive is a kind word hahaahahah

What in my response prompted you to say I'm intense???

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

So, I just got a tall plastic container but it’s about twice the size of the enclosure I have now. Best thing I could find. Should that work? I’d post a picture of it but my phone camera doesn’t work and I’m alone here.
Yes, I was emphasizing why with all caps, intense? Not at all, merely proper use of a capital letter. At times I like to know what makes someone think something on the board because at times it leads to a course correction for the better.

You don't even know why you typed something...my god. I HOPE your Ts survive over there.

About 5-8" at most is all you need in additional height.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
About 5-8" at most is all you need in additional height.
Hmm I’ll make it work. I’m just overly focused on the size because the spider is so damn tiny and hasn’t eaten (worried about them being able to find prey)...but maybe a little large is better than not enough ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm I’ll make it work. I’m just overly focused on the size because the spider is so damn tiny and hasn’t eaten (worried about them being able to find prey)...but maybe a little large is better than not enough ventilation.
Poor vent kills Avics faster than lightning relative to other species.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
This setup seems much better...I’m just worried that they are in the substrate looking stressed ?

(The T is the little lump in the left corner.) EB254EBD-77D1-4DB0-A3F2-06F9A24DDEE1.jpeg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This setup seems much better...I’m just worried that they are in the substrate looking stressed ?

(The T is the little lump in the left corner.) View attachment 311273
Looks awesome. The spider is stressed because of the rehouse and being in a new environment again. ;)
Just top off the waterdish and put it somewhere shady/dark and quiet. Just leave it alone for a day of three, it'll come around and start webbing in no time :)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The enclosure size is pretty perfect for that T, not quite too big but roomy.