Enclosure/Terrarium Pictures

Craig73

Arachnoangel
New here and to the hobby. Here's one of my sling enclosures. Basic and this sight will give me great ideas moving forward.

Avic. Pulpurea just arrived today and settling in.

20160602_200111.jpg

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Here's some I just finished got 3 more working ran out of the cork I need though :(

The corker is made from cork rounds and miss and has an area behind it can get between it and the glass a bigger version of the amac boxes they were in for my avic avic and P irminia. I have some more to build for a few more gotta get more cork :)

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
So I posted the cages I built last night and had a question. I wanted to put cork rounds comming out of it towards the front hollow end C facing forward so it looks like a hollow branch comming of the cork I made look like a tree maybe 3 inches long. Do you guys think hot glue alone will be enough to hold it on in place or should I use nails or something to kinda push into the limb I'm making and push into the cork and then glue. Any one have experience with it supporting like that I mean it's only cork and light but though it would look really neat :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I posted the cages I built last night and had a question. I wanted to put cork rounds comming out of it towards the front hollow end C facing forward so it looks like a hollow branch comming of the cork I made look like a tree maybe 3 inches long. Do you guys think hot glue alone will be enough to hold it on in place or should I use nails or something to kinda push into the limb I'm making and push into the cork and then glue. Any one have experience with it supporting like that I mean it's only cork and light but though it would look really neat :)
You could try it. I use hot glue, but honestly while easy to use, I find it to be a poor glue. I had a plastic water bowl glued to an acrylic piece below it as a stand, and after a year the two pieces came apart. I would try it, but don't expect much IME, ie last long.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
You could try it. I use hot glue, but honestly while easy to use, I find it to be a poor glue. I had a plastic water bowl glued to an acrylic piece below it as a stand, and after a year the two pieces came apart. I would try it, but don't expect much IME, ie last long.
I might use some 00 penny nails in the end of the cork and the base as support. Right now I have an extra 5 gallon I built cause i had enough acrylic left but nothing big enough for it yet but my lampropelma Borneo female is growing quick so I built this to play with for now but don't like the way the tube is because with a big defensive species I don't think I want her that close while doing maint

I also ran to the container store on lunch break picked up a bunch of the amac boxes with the low tops and found acrylic boxes that are thick for plush toys display I am going to use that are double the size of the amac boxes for my I Mira both of em and my e murinus. Got the drill press set up and a lot of drilling ahead of me tommorow

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I might use some 00 penny nails in the end of the cork and the base as support. Right now I have an extra 5 gallon I built cause i had enough acrylic left but nothing big enough for it yet but my lampropelma Borneo female is growing quick so I built this to play with for now but don't like the way the tube is because with a big defensive species I don't think I want her that close while doing maint

I also ran to the container store on lunch break picked up a bunch of the amac boxes with the low tops and found acrylic boxes that are thick for plush toys display I am going to use that are double the size of the amac boxes for my I Mira both of em and my e murinus. Got the drill press set up and a lot of drilling ahead of me tommorow

Would you PM me the link for those boxes. I'd be interested in a larger box for my I mira as well.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Done :). They have other sixes this is the tallest they have a few lower rectangle sixes I may grab for terrestrials depending how these work out gonna drill em tommorow

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Would you PM me the link for those boxes. I'd be interested in a larger box for my I mira as well.
Do you think it would be a good idea to drill a row of holes along the top and the bottom to allow the burrows to dry out a bit and flooding or not necessary with these guys?

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Well drug if the drill press drill like ten amac boxes and 4 of these cubes. 2 house my I miras and I'm not sure about the other two yet. Came out well I think

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you think it would be a good idea to drill a row of holes along the top and the bottom to allow the burrows to dry out a bit and flooding or not necessary with these guys?
Which species again? With my O.v's (formerly Lv's aka Singapore Blues) I tried both holes throughout the depth of the substrate, as well as no holes. I noticed no benefit to the T, nor change in their behavior. The sub certainly dried out quicker of course w/the hole version.

For I. mira, my setup is similar to yours. I put only 1 row on all 4 sides. I have a water dish, I suggest you put one in there too, they will drink. I've seen mine do it a few times. You won't need holes further down the container, they need dry sub.

Also, I took a piece of flat cork bark, and laid it at 45 deg. angle against a wall. In doing this, my mira immediately chose the space between the cork slab and the container wall as its hide. And a day later started burrowing in same space, allowing me to see it through the acrylic the entire time. This was helpful to me as it allowed to learn just how sensitive they are to crickets walking over them. It had a few trapdoors by then, and it would run to each door that corresponded to where the cricket was located.

What size is that cube and what size is your mira? I'd be prepared for the mira to potentially raise the substrate height 1-2" from where it is now. It happened in my case, so it may happen to yours as well.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Which species again? With my O.v's (formerly Lv's aka Singapore Blues) I tried both holes throughout the depth of the substrate, as well as no holes. I noticed no benefit to the T, nor change in their behavior. The sub certainly dried out quicker of course w/the hole version.

For I. mira, my setup is similar to yours. I put only 1 row on all 4 sides. I have a water dish, I suggest you put one in there too, they will drink. I've seen mine do it a few times. You won't need holes further down the container, they need dry sub.

Also, I took a piece of flat cork bark, and laid it at 45 deg. angle against a wall. In doing this, my mira immediately chose the space between the cork slab and the container wall as its hide. And a day later started burrowing in same space, allowing me to see it through the acrylic the entire time. This was helpful to me as it allowed to learn just how sensitive they are to crickets walking over them. It had a few trapdoors by then, and it would run to each door that corresponded to where the cricket was located.

What size is that cube and what size is your mira? I'd be prepared for the mira to potentially raise the substrate height 1-2" from where it is now. It happened in my case, so it may happen to yours as well.
Perfect! Yea I am going to put a water bowl after they settle in both were intent on leaving the container so in a few days once they burrow I will add one. That cube is basically 6 inches wide and 8 inches tall. I had them in Tupperware containers before these are just nicer I did the cork bark thing sorta with my e murinus and it worked well I tried it with these guys they diddnt seem to care my big I Mira is an inch and a half maybe 2 and the other is a sling maybe half an inch to 3/4

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I have a small flower pot broke in half maybe I will try that to encourage her to burrow in the side

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
If people are generally trying to make their enclosures resemble natural settings, I don't understand why so many people ignore the floor of the setups. I've seen elaborate setups with cork and plants and vines, but the soil is left alone. Walk through anywhere in nature where spiders appear, and you'll see leaf litter, twigs, moss, etc on the ground. It's very easy to create that look in an enclosure, yet many people overlook the detail. Ruins the entire setup in my opinion as it looses it's authenticity...

Attachments

Last edited: