Enclosure size

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just got my H. arizonensis, but it's sorta small (~2.5 in).

I have it in a 10 gallon. Is that too big?

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by neveragain
Full grown ones can be kept in a 5 gallon tank.
Not what I asked. Is it too big? I have been plotting to keep a couple of them, but for the time being I only have the one.

Would it be bad to keep a subadult/adult with the little one? I would assume so, but I figured I'd ask anyway. If the other one arrives and it's much larger, I may just put the small one in a small Kritter Keeper.

Any suggestions/comments?

N.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I was trying to imply that it doesnt need a tank that big by stating that a full grown (double the size of yours) can be kept in a tank half the size of the one you are keeping yours in.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by neveragain
Well, I was trying to imply that it doesnt need a tank that big by stating that a full grown (double the size of yours) can be kept in a tank half the size of the one you are keeping yours in.
I'm aware it isn't necessary. What I was wondering was if there would be any problems from it? Would the extra space be "bad" for it?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
About the only problem with larger enclosures is that they reduce prey density and can make it harder for scorps to catch their meals. A 10 gallon is far from a problem, though, as a cricket put in there will almost certainly run into the scorps burrow in the course of a night. What I wouldn't recommend is putting one scorp in something like a 100 gallon unless you are putting in a lot of crickets, manualy feeding them or interested in the effects of sporadic prey capture as occurs in nature.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
About the only problem with larger enclosures is that they reduce prey density and can make it harder for scorps to catch their meals. A 10 gallon is far from a problem, though, as a cricket put in there will almost certainly run into the scorps burrow in the course of a night. What I wouldn't recommend is putting one scorp in something like a 100 gallon unless you are putting in a lot of crickets, manualy feeding them or interested in the effects of sporadic prey capture as occurs in nature.

Cheers,
Dave
Well, I'm feeding this little bugger by hand; I have no intent on ever using crickets again; and it's not a 100 gallon tank. So, I guess I'm ok.

Thanks Dave

N.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As a rule what is the general size a scorp will need do they need little space like a T or do they need larger space because of the roaming factor?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They need very little space. Most will build a burrow/scrape and stick to it. Space only becomes an issue when breeding or keeping communal scorps -- much like Ts.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malhavoc's,

In my expereince, if you give a scorpion a very little enclosure--for example, put an emp in a med critter keeper--it will treat the enclosure as it's entire burrow. You'll probably see the scorp more often, but it won't be moving a whole lot when you do. If you put that same emp in a 20 gallon long tank you'll almost never see it, but when you do it will be walking around. Again, this is just an observation. Also, (as Dave said) more space means a lower prey density. The plus side is that it means your scorp will be out more often looking for food. The down side is that it will spend time looking for food that it could have used looking to mate!

Chris