Enclosure size too small?

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
Hi. Im currently housing my 4 inch p.regalis in a 6x6x10” enclosure. A few people have said that my enclosure is too small? Can I check if this is the case? If so, what dimensions should I be looking at?
Thanks in advance!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think that is too small for a pokie. My adult female P. metallica is probably 5" if not a little bigger. She is in an 8x8x12 ExoTerra and looks tiny in it half the time because pokies do that "pokie pose" and don't take up a lot of space.

If you wanted to upgrade, you could look at something at least two times the leg span in width and three times in height.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would say its too small.

I have an adult regalis in a 12” tall enclosure and she is a little cramped. I had to move my larger adult into something bigger a while back. She is now pushing 8 inches leg span, so I put her in 15” tall enclosure.

boina

Lady of the mites
At this point in time I'd think it's still ok, but you will need to upgrade after the next molt. @Teal - regalis gets a lot bigger than metallica. I'd keep an adult metallica in an 8x8x12, but never a regalis. Mine is in a 12x12x20, although you could probably get away with something a little smaller.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
At this point in time I'd think it's still ok, but you will need to upgrade after the next molt. @Teal - regalis gets a lot bigger than metallica. I'd keep an adult metallica in an 8x8x12, but never a regalis. Mine is in a 12x12x20, although you could probably get away with something a little smaller.
Oh, I know they get a lot bigger. I wasn't meaning to say that enclosure size is fine for an adult regalis... just that it is fine for the size the spider is currently. I interpreted the post as the OP asking if their spider had already outgrown that enclosure and needed an immediate upgrade, not if that enclosure size would work permanently for that spider. My mistake.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Its going to pretty much double in size from there. I would have a 4" specimen in its permanent home at this stage, saves you the hassle of doing more rehouses down the line.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Exo Terra Mini Tall is 12x12x18, just have to do something about the mesh top. If you do decide to go that route, I suggest looking around places like craigslist or FB marketplace to hopefully get a good deal on one. That or an expo.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Pictures would help, but I've always been a person that would rather put my T's in something a little bit too big and allow them to grown into it instead of cramping them in a smaller enclosure running the risk of stressing the T. Example... having the lid become part of their enclosure and having them defensive every time I open the enclosure.