Enclosure questions.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
A couple more questions... First off, does my spider need to have lighting? I know they are practically blind, but they can still see light from darknwss, I presume. And secondly, my T is in my room, and at night I run a cieling fan and a desk fan to keep me cool and to create noise. Will these dry out my T? Thats it. Thanks!
It's ok if you avic aka pink toe is dry. I keep all of mine on dry sub with just a waterdish and no misting. They all do fine. So I wouldn't be to concerned about it being to dry (also depends on where you live and local humidity)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
And, when in my keeping should I be able to move on to more advanced T's, like a Baboon, Ornamental, and those sort of T's? I dont want to jump headfirst into a T that I cant handle (not literally).
There isn't a solid answer to that question. It's different for everyone. I would recommend you at least get used to caring for the Avic you have. Feeding/watering it, cleaning out the left overs, and getting used to working around it. Get all the tools you need to safely care for it. Maybe let it molt a time or two in your care. See what comes up (as you keep it questions will arise) and get some experience. It's a juvie from the looks of it in the photos. While doing that, get some reading in on here and ask questions.

Once you've got the care for this one down then see where you are. See what others are keeping and how they care for their Ts (I find out a lot of my information from reading about others experience on here and other sites). If you hang out on here for any amount of time you'll end up with a list of Ts you want. Pick one from that list that you are ready for. Double check your information on keeping it and go for it. There are a great selection of tarantulas with a wide array of colors, sizes, temperaments, and traits. Some can have stronger venom, are much faster, and a lot more skittish. No one wants a pet the are afraid of. No one wants a T loose in their home. So it's good to know what you're getting into.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

PS: Here is one of mine I am really fond of. (I have a lot of Ts I'm fond of btw) :D
0.1 B.albopilosum

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I just want to preface my post with this: I may be a mod, but I generally post as just a member. Dont' think just because I say something here or whatever I'm not trying to browbeat anyone with my "authority" ;) I'm just a person who has a hobby. Just like everyone else.

If I got a Baboon, it is for sure I wouldn't handle it. They are just too agressive. I am thinking a Salmon Pink and an Indian ornamental. Any thoughts? Also, thanks for all the info guys. It will really help, and it will possibly imrove my T's quality of life. I will try and get a new cage online, or modify one, and will get some new substrate and a few plants. Where I live there arent any pet stores other than PetCo and Pet Smart though.
handling any T is kind of discouraged in general. T's don't gain anything from the experience whatsoever. It's not like you can bond with it like it's a puppy or a kitten, T's lack the necessary higher brain function that allows that sort of thing. Literally, the only thing you will get out of handling a T, besides you're own satisfaction, is a dangerous situation created for your Tarantula should it suddenly bolt, or jump off your hand, or bite you. There are lots of threads on these forums where a T has bolted during maintenance and is/were now hiding in one of a zillion tight fitting spots you'd never think they'd fit in. Only to die of starvation and dehydration. Ditto on the "I was handling my T when it suddenly jumped off my hand and went splat/has internal injuries". Not a pretty picture and definitely not something the T would have thought was worth the experience.

I don't particularly want a 'Beginner' T, I am looking for something more advanced. Any info on those?
since you already have a high level beginner/ low level intermediate T that you are struggling with providing a proper home for, I'd say you need a beginner T, not a more advanced species. Gain more experience with the beginners, they're worth the time trust me. They allow you to make mistakes with their care and housing since most of them are much more forgiving of "beginner" mistakes being generally hardier. That being said, once you've kept your avic, and maybe 1 or 2 other beginner species, maybe a terrestrial or two, that will give you a nice jump off spot as far as accumulated knowledge and experience. :) Ornamentals are NOT the place to start. Even experience keepers sometimes choose not to get into that, they are quite a bit more advanced then the intermediate T's you are currently wanting to work towards. ;)

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I am thinking of getting a terrestrial for my next. Either a Salmon Pink or Brazilian White Knee. Are these two good species? Are there any OW terrestrials that you guys would recommend either?

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Both of those are great second t's, and lets stick to new worlds tell you had something a bit more defensive like for example A.geniculata or Brazilian giant white knee.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
White striped birdeater was the one Jamies has. I mistook that for A gen. Anyone know where I can get a A. geniculata online? Also, any new-world T's that are close to OW, so that I can get some experience with that? I really like OW T's.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
White striped birdeater was the one Jamies has. I mistook that for A gen. Anyone know where I can get a A. geniculata online?
"White striped birdeater" is Nhandu chromatus which is also a good T. On par with A. geniculata I think inn terms of skittishness or defensiveness

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I am thinking of getting a terrestrial for my next. Either a Salmon Pink or Brazilian White Knee. Are these two good species? Are there any OW terrestrials that you guys would recommend either?
Both of these are great next tarantulas. I got an A.geniculata for my 4th T if I remember correctly. It is a hardy eater which makes feeding time pretty cool. They grow pretty quickly which will help you get used to molt cycles and such.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
White striped birdeater was the one Jamies has. I mistook that for A gen. Anyone know where I can get a A. geniculata online? Also, any new-world T's that are close to OW, so that I can get some experience with that? I really like OW T's.
Have you looked in here?

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
My Avic has molted once or twice in my care. I posted a Want To Buy for an A. Genic to see if anyone has one currently. Also, is the vertical log setup in my Avic enclosure good? I have a Cork Round set upright, but she hasnt gone into it yet. She has only sat on the side. See pics for reference.

Last edited:

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
And Trenor, where do you get the deco for your enclosures? I checked out your photo thread, and it your enclosures look really nice.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It would be very nice if you could stick to using scientific names.
A.geniculata would be a nice T to help you on your way to OW.
What is it exactly what you like about them so much? Maybe people could give better NW options if they know what you're looking for.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Like about OW T's? I just have a fascination with Africa and Asia, and I love the colors on the OW's, and the jungle habitat they live in.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
And Trenor, where do you get the deco for your enclosures? I checked out your photo thread, and it your enclosures look really nice.
Thanks, I enjoy putting them together.

I get deco from several places.

I use cork tubes and cork tiles from amazon. I bought a box of tubes a while back and I still have half a box left. The cork tile ended up doing 1 adult ,2 juvie, and 7 sling enclosures with enough left to do one more juvie or two sling enclosures. It's a great base for mounting plants in the enclosure.

The plants I get from local hobby stores. I buy extra when they go on sale. I'm fond of the vine plants that allow you to pull off leaves in 2-3 leaf clusters. Add a little hot glue and stick them where you need them. I don't like ordering these online because I like to see the leaf size and how it is made prior to buying.

One thing I am looking for is long/soft grey/green moss. Everything we have here at the hobby store is brittle and rough. I've not looked heavy online but I'm also leery of buying a big bag till I know it's what I'm looking for. Once I find what I want I'll add this to help hide the glue better and dress up the cork.

Good luck.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So you glue your stuff together? With what kind of glue? And is it safe for the T?
I use hot glue for non glass enclosures. I think most kinds are safe but if you buy the craft sticks I know they are safe for kids, Ts etc. I cut and layout everything. Then glue it all together and once it sets up I trim all the hot glue strings and tidy things up.

Just make sure you use enough glue and you let everything harden up before introducing your T.

I try to prep my enclosures ahead of time when I'm rehousing or getting new Ts.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
What are yiur guy's opinions on a Camaroon Red? I really want an OW. I am almost for sure getting a Salmon Pink, but I would like other suggestions. Thanks!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What are yiur guy's opinions on a Camaroon Red? I really want an OW. I am almost for sure getting a Salmon Pink, but I would like other suggestions. Thanks!
You really want an OW, apparently any OW will do, just as long as it's an OW. That's like saying you really want someone to love, anyone will do, as long as you can say your in love. :D

I've seen people get OW Ts for a lot of reasons. I've just never seen someone get an OW just so they have an OW.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Psalmopoeus irminia or cambrigei.
there plenty of awesome NW spiders, getting a OW just to get a OW is silly.