Enclosure question

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I see older threads suggesting that a one gallon jar/tall tub is adequate for most centipedes.

I'm guessing from more recent threads that most people have abandoned this for larger, deeper Rubbermaid-type tubs except for the smallest species?

Asking this question after doing about an hour of research and searching threads.

Thanks!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
A tall jar is adequate and is easy to clean and feed a centipede in, but most keepers do prefer large plastic tubs as they are the best for retaining moisture, adding hiding spots and substrate to, and also usually cheaper than glass tanks. Centipedes can handle living in very cramped conditions but it is probably best for them to be in a more spacious tub.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A tall jar is adequate and is easy to clean and feed a centipede in, but most keepers do prefer large plastic tubs as they are the best for retaining moisture, adding hiding spots and substrate to, and also usually cheaper than glass tanks. Centipedes can handle living in very cramped conditions but it is probably best for them to be in a more spacious tub.
I agree, and would also say that is is easier to work in a tub if you need to move anything, refill the water dish, etc.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a few of mine in 10 gallon aquariums - the larger space is nice for communal species or large showy species. And it also allows for substrate moisture gradient - letting the animal choose its comfort level. (One end of the cage can be a little wetter than the other.) But these cages can be unwieldy for maintenance. Most of my centipedes are kept in plastic "kritter keeper" cages. I know that some people do not like these or recommend them, but they have worked well for me over the years. They allow for plenty of air movement, and this has mixed values. It helps prevent mold, but it also allows cages to dry out faster. And small centipedes can escape through small openings (including the openings where handles attach to the lids, or loose fitting lids.). For some animals I place a layer of mosquito netting between the cage and the lid - but Scolopendras can sometimes chew holes in the mosquito netting, so you need to monitor this.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Even just watching some youtube vids, some people are using large tubs with almost no sub with hides or tamped down sub so they can always find the centipede, and others are using 6 plus inches of sub in smaller enclosures (like the gallon jars) with nothing on top....Seems like there is a lot of variation as to what people are doing.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I've got a few of mine in 10 gallon aquariums - the larger space is nice for communal species or large showy species. And it also allows for substrate moisture gradient - letting the animal choose its comfort level. (One end of the cage can be a little wetter than the other.) But these cages can be unwieldy for maintenance. Most of my centipedes are kept in plastic "kritter keeper" cages. I know that some people do not like these or recommend them, but they have worked well for me over the years. They allow for plenty of air movement, and this has mixed values. It helps prevent mold, but it also allows cages to dry out faster. And small centipedes can escape through small openings (including the openings where handles attach to the lids, or loose fitting lids.). For some animals I place a layer of mosquito netting between the cage and the lid - but Scolopendras can sometimes chew holes in the mosquito netting, so you need to monitor this.
Is there a particular kritter keeper brand you are using? I've seen some folks super glue the sliding door on these shut.

basin79

ArachnoGod
A tall jar is only suitable if it's of suitable size.

Centipedes NEED plenty of room to move unlike tarantulas. So a pede needs at least 2x the length and at least the width to wander. Easily achievable with a RUB.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
A tall jar is only suitable if it's of suitable size.

Centipedes NEED plenty of room to move unlike tarantulas. So a pede needs at least 2x the length and at least the width to wander. Easily achievable with a RUB.
Thanks for the opinion, was just watching some of your YouTube vids....

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a particular kritter keeper brand you are using? I've seen some folks super glue the sliding door on these shut.
The ones I have have a "Herp Haven" label. I use a couple different sizes. For baby centipedes I use deli cups.

As for the depth of the substrate - I'm more concerned with the health and well-being of the animal than with being able to see it all the time, so I provide deep substrate. Also, since I live in a desert environment, deeper substrate holds humidity better. I admit there are some species that spend so much time hiding that I get a little annoyed - but I'll still let them do so.