Enclosure question

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've noticed them hanging around the heating pad, which is near the water dish. The hise is on the opposite end. Should I maybe switch the hide and water around, so their hide is on the warmer end?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If you are keeping them communaly, you ought to have multiple hides anyways, so there should be some on both the warm and cool ends.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I don't have multiple because the one I do have is quite large. Have you seen the post I made of the enclosure? The log in there could fit 2 adult females without a problem...

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes a two bedroom apartment with small rooms is better than a one bedrom apartment with a giant master bedroom.

Cheers,
Dave

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but scorps likes to have small hides. Hides at diferent places let them choose the temp they want to have.

Multiple hides with more than one scorpion in the enclosure help preventing aggressiveness between the scorpions. You really should have more than one hide. Get a big flatrock and dig under it and it'll do a perfect hide.

Frank

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Uhm...maybe I'm being picky, but I'd like to see them once in a while :rolleyes: Any suggestions for hides that leave them at least somewhat visible?

N.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my asains are starting to get bigger and the rock they share may not be good for all 3 for long. Do the seperate hides need to be a distance apart, or the fact that theyre seperate good enough?

i remember another thread asked about humidity, and someone mentioned asians need more than emps. so i increased the humidity in my tank by wetting the substrate. they didnt seem too pleased with it. running round, tying to scale the wall

Edit- i use these rocks that they sell at petco, theyre for lizards and theyre stackable, thin rocks, i forgot their name. but place 2 on the ground with no substrate underneath it, and have the long one settled on the 2 smaller ones. and do this near the side of a tank so youll be able to peak in on them.

Last edited:

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chuck: just separated hides are fine. You know, you don't always want to sleep with your neighbor.. :) I think that emps and asians both need high humidity.. My emp didn't like when I was wetting the substrate, but it adds humidity, so its fine!

nocturnal: maybe you want to see them, but if you want to keep them happy and remove the stress, you need hides.

Frank

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Firstly, I am going to direct everyone to the sticky on emp care at the top of this forum. It describes, very simply, a basic method of humidifying without flooding the substrate. The only thing I would do with Heterometrus (asian forest scorps) is restrict the ventelation more than with the emps.

As for hides that leave them visible, there a few ways to do this. In my H.spinifer enclosure I have rocks stacked so as to make natural looking hides right against the edge of the glass. when I want to see someone, I just shine a light (blacklight or whitelight) in and there they are.

Cheers,
Dave

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
a 10 gallon for 1 emp?

looks like im a need a bigger tank, luckly i have a 10 gallon free, but i was hoping to use it for my avic avic eventually, guess i need to take a trip to the pet shop =D
everyone loves the pet shop, always buy more than what you need:}

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yes. Based on my own experiences with Heterometrus and other people's experiences with Pandinus, I feel that a 10 gallon is the minimum size for keeping one. It is also, however, the minimum size for keeping two. Three in a 10 gallon is doable, but stretching it -- once you get into those numbers, I'd switch to at least a 15. Right now I have two Hetermoetrus in a 30. I would have more, but my female has a tendancy of eating other females.

Cheers,
Dave