1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosure Problems

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Apestabrook, May 6, 2018.

1. Apestabrook

Apestabrook Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Thanks Dave, i don't have any cork bark either, its very difficult to work with such a little space, the hide will take up 70% of the cage. I dont want it to feel crowded.

This is what i've got put together. The Dr Pepper lid is for scale.
    20180509_033752.jpg 20180509_033927.jpg 20180509_033957.jpg

Just got my T in the mail!!! never thought i would describe a spider as cute lol! How long did you guys wait before feeding yours after arrival?
    20180509_093249.jpg 20180509_092425.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. tewebag

tewebag Arachnopeon Active Member

Depending on the size I give it anywhere to the end of the first day to a couple days after getting it before I try feeding. Good thing about slings is you just put in a prekilled item and if it's still there a day later simply remove it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Excellent!
    And yes, you get a whole new appreciation of spiders once you look at them in a different way, I think mine are cute too.

4. Apestabrook

It's been in its hide since i got it, i crushed a crickets head and dropped it in there, It's untouched so far.

My brother goes, "nope! you can keep that" lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  5. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Tell me that's not cute! stents 5 10.JPG And my little teddy bear! p3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tewebag

Give it 24 hours then remove it, dead things are excellent mold growers.

Most people will be like that, they just don't see them as they are. This little guy was the first one I got for myself 20180411_161834.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Apestabrook

OH cool! Is that a GBB?

8. tewebag

Avicularia avicularia, arboreal dwelling. Avics are my favorite

9. Apestabrook

Did you have difficulties getting your slings to eat. She keeps running away from everything I put in there. Meal worms are bigger than her, crickets are the same size as her and fruit flies she ignores.

10. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoknight Active Member

Cut up the mealworm to an appropiate size, put the piece in front of her hide... and wait. If she's hungry, she'll eat it. If not, take it out after 24 h (before it can rot) and try again after a few days.

There's more than enough evidence, that slings will indeed scavenge dead mealworms! :hilarious:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/more-evidence-that-slings-eat-mealworm-pieces.306998/

You could also prekill crickets and leave them in there. Same game. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. tewebag

Since you just received it this morning, give it some time, missing a day or two will not kill it. It may just need a little adjustment time.

Do this;

• Like Like x 1
  12. Apestabrook

Damn, I crushed a crickets head, put it in front of her hide, played a couple rounds of Smite on PS4, peek in and the cricket is pulled inside haha. Do they generally eat the entire thing or drain its insides and leave a carcass?

• Like Like x 1
  13. tewebag

Normal feedings leave a nice little ball of leftovers, if you see it remove it if not it's not a huge deal just remove it if you see mold.
    Slings it all depends on how big of a fatty they are verus how big the prey item offered was. Sometimes they will devour it all other times they will eat like half.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Malo

Malo Arachnopeon Active Member

I can never find remains of crickets from my sling.

15. Apestabrook

Turns out she pulled it into the hide but didnt do anything with it.
    Think i may just go a few days without putting anything in there, then after maybe 3 days put a cricket in

16. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoknight Active Member

Are you sure? Because sometimes they just nibble a bit and leave the rest... depends on the size of the feeder and the size of the T. And your T is still pretty small. You might not be able to see that she actually ate. ;)

17. Apestabrook

I hope so, I'm really worried about messing up haha

18. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

If you use a glass aquarium you need to get a custom lid made of acrylic or something. I have my M. balfouri female in a 10 gallon aquarium and I went to Orchard Supply and got a piece of acrylic cut to size with ventilation holes put in. I then glued acrylic hinged locks on with silicone and it worked out nicely.

This is a very very tiny spider and you definitely can't put it in a 10 gallon aquarium... It needs a tiny enclosure about the size of the little plastic box you posted later. I'd probably add 1 more row of little ventilation holes.