1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosure Problems

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Apestabrook, May 6, 2018.

1. Apestabrook

Apestabrook Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    New to the forums, I just ordered my first T off net bugs website, I went with the Eupalaestrus campestratus, i got a 10 gallon aquarium and a metal mesh top, the top has a bit of wiggle room and the clamps I was given dont seem to secure the top down very well.

What would you guys recommend for a top, and how to fasten it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    Mesh screens are a no go as T's can and will get the hooks on the end of their stuck in it, this can lead to falls and injury or death. What you could do is replace the mesh with an acrylic sheet with holes drilled in for ventilation, but it may be easier for you just to go to the local Walmart or dollar store and get a plastic tub. How big is the T in question? Because it could also be possible that a 10 gallon aquarium is way too large for your spider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Apestabrook

Thats a very good question, i was trying to be preemptive and get it's home all setup so it would be ready when it got here, but when i ordered it, the only information was this "1/4-1/3" spiderlings " under the title. I'm not sure what that refers to.

4. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight Active Member

That refers to the dls of the tarantula. Basically means you will have a tiny spider in a huge container, you need something a lot smaller than a ten gallon.

5. Greasylake

Texas
    At that size a deli cup like this would be much more appropriate. A 1/2 inch spider would never been seen in a 10 gallon tank, youd probably lose it in there.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Apestabrook

forgive me, im a newb, but what is dls? I know these are very slow growing species, so would it be quite a while before I would actually need a 10 gallon? what size would you suggest? something like a tupaware with holes in it or maybe something like a 2.5 gal?

7. Greasylake

Texas
    Diagonal leg span is length from the end of the rear left leg to the end of the front right leg. Look at the picture I attached, that's an appropriate size enclosure for a spiderling of that size.

8. Apestabrook

Like those ones they put salad dressing in?

9. Greasylake

Texas
    Yeah like when you go to a restaurant and they give you dressing to go. Small containers like this prevent the spider from burrowing and allows for a better feeding response, easier monitoring and they essentially adopt the entire container as their burrow. It makes your life easier until they're big enough for an upgrade.

10. Apestabrook

should i still put substrate in the container?

11. Greasylake

Texas
    Yep but just a small amount, just enough to cover the bottom. The substrate should have a little bit of moisture, but not so much that its soaking wet. Also, I hear the species you got grows very slowly, so be prepared to do some waiting.

12. Apestabrook

very much appreciated, I overnighted it so it doesnt spend a lot of time in a box

i guessing i might be able to just keep it in the container it comes in if thats the case.

I actually have a small container that had chocolates in it thats a decent size, ill take a pic

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018
  13. Greasylake

Texas
    It'll most likely come in a fairly small container, but having it in a container that's a little large for it for a day or two until you can get one if the little deli cups won't hurt it. Some people ship in the deli cups, but I've never ordered from the people you bought from so I have no idea what kind of containers they ship in.

I think that container should work. It's a little large but after a few molts it should fill the container fine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018
  14. Apestabrook

i have one of those deli ones but there are big holes in it that are probably too big.

15. Greasylake

Texas
    Yeah the holes in the deli cup are too big. The T would probably be able to just walk right out. Ideally the holes should be poked with a small needle. Itll keep the spider inside, it's easy, and it does the job just fine.

16. tewebag

Yes, as he stated that is what dls stands for and is the most used way to measure the length of a tarantula. That plastic box will actually work for you also, tiny bit large at first but way better than a ten gallon.

Hobby lobby actually carries these "crystal clear display case" for baseballs (and larger balls) that work well for the smaller tarantulas, the lid is a bit of a pain but I attach handles to all of the ones I use for easier removal of the lid. That looks to be about the same size as that box you have there so it should work.

And as stated above, those holes in the deli cup are way to large to use for a sling

17. Apestabrook

i drilled some holes in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tewebag

That should work out fine. Post some pictures in here when you get it all set up with your new t tomorrow, would love to see it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Apestabrook

Thanks! I ordered it overnight sunday but i dont think they ship out on Sunday, so its either gonna be tomorrow or Tuesday
    What should i do for water? just like a bottle cap?

• Like Like x 1
  20. tewebag

Small slings do just fine drinking off the substrate or the side of the enclourse. Once it gets some size to it (about the time for its rehouse from that enclourse) it will be time to add in that bottle cap.

When it is in premolt / right after just keep the substrate a little bit extra (not swampy) damper than normal to ensure it has accessible water.