Enclosure opinions

Hi, I am raising my first G. pulchra, Pinky, Destroyer of World and Harbinger of Chaos. I'm preparing a new enclosure for it and wanted some opinions since it's my first vivarium.
It's 1-1.25" in DLS and currently it's in a ~4x2x2" enclosure I got from the seller when I bought it back in August, but I wanted to give it more space to burrow/hide. I got a 6x6x6" box and added ventilation holes, then cleaned it up and filled it halfway with cocoa substrate, added a hide, plants, etc. This is the 6x6x6" enclosure:

IMG_7552.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg

There is a lot to learn so I like hearing from other people if I can. I'm a little worried about the plants as they seem a little pointy but my crestie owning partner thinks it should be alright. I also don't have a water dish at the moment but am getting tattoo ink caps in for that. I can't move Pinky for a while as it went into premolt this week, so now would be the time to hear if I made a mistake in this new enclosure :) Thanks

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
First of all, kudos to you for reaching out to prepare the best new home for your new friend! Generally speaking, 2-3x the DLS is recommended. I house my juvie terrestrials in larger homes, but at only 1-1.25” that box sounds pretty huge.

Maxthesquid

Arachnosquire
Looks fantastic, should house it for quite some time until you need to upsize, but it isn’t too big either

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You can always trim the sharp bits off the plant. What is on the bottom of the plant? There's a 99% chance the T will dig it up, so make sure there's not a sharp point on the stem. If she does dog it up, it will be a rather large obstacle to shuffle around.

I actually just stumbled upon this post yesterday and can't unhear the words "grammostola nursery" in my head. Granted I don't know anything about this person or what substrate that was, but I would imagine they were all set up pretty similar and each made it their own.

So you can anticipate your T is going to move the plant around and out of its way, along with all the substrate and probably the water dish too 🤣

By the way @ladyratri has a very special pulchra that might be related to specimen L in this photo... 🤣🤣🤣 If you click on the link in her signature there is an amazing story with lots of pictures that might give you an idea of how long your Pinky will not outgrow this enclosure :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It looks really good for a new keepers encosure, just yeah needs a water dish. I wouldnt worry about the plastic plants Ive used what looks like a lot of the same and never had any issues. What I will say is that Grammostola pulchra grow rather slow so it wont outgrow that for a long while.

thank you all for your replies. I do think I overshot the size a little bit, but I have been wanting to adopt a 2nd sling, so I may eventually try to find a juvenile of a species that would do well in this enclosure.
unfortunately Pinky got stuck in the left half of his last molt and isn't showing the signs of life he was last night when we tried getting him out of it :(

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Oh no! I am very sorry to hear that. Asymmetrical molting is a bad sign, good on you for intervening. Don't give up until it's obvious (signs of decomposition), crazier things have happened.

Sorry this has happened.