Enclosure input

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
So, a couple days ago i became the owner of a young poecilotheria vittata. This is the enclosure it was in when i got it, and i was looking for some advice towards any improvements i could make to have a comfortable, healthy T.
This is my first poecilotheria so i welcome any and all advice.... main concern is air flow. Should I add more vent holes for cross ventilation? 20180521_040422.jpg 20180521_040328.jpg 20180521_030802.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Add another piece of leaned wood opposite the one there, put a plant at the base and you should be fine as long as the sling is at least 2" (which it certainly appears to be)....any smaller and its an escape risk in a KK. The ventilation is fine.

Just dampen part of the sub when things get dry....they are pretty tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
Add another piece of leaned wood opposite the one there, put a plant at the base and you should be fine as long as the sling is at least 2" (which it certainly appears to be)....any smaller and its an escape risk in a KK. The ventilation is fine.

Just dampen part of the sub when things get dry....they are pretty tolerant of a wide range of conditions.
Thanks cold blood, i really appreciate all the info you've given me..
I was thinking about placing a piece of cork bark but wasnt sure on unnecessary overcrowding of the enclosure.
When the time comes Ill more than likely ask for advice on the rehouse enclosure as well. It's around 2.5 from what i can measure in the enclosure, and recent molt was three days ago. I believe to be a male but the abdomen was a bit torn (by me). next molt ill know for sure but im 90% on male.
Again, thanks for the advice.

cold blood

Staff member
I was thinking about placing a piece of cork bark but wasnt sure on unnecessary overcrowding of the enclosure.
Well adding more wood wouldn't over crowd anything....barren wasted space s much worse than over crowding any way....having more places to hide is always a positive or you can get a panicked, whirlwind t....no one wants to deal with that.
I believe to be a male but the abdomen was a bit torn (by me).
Pokies are actually easier to vent sex. I've never even looked at a pokie molt in my life.

Shine a light at it when its on the glass...when shining the light front to back (fangs to abdomen), you will see a little light "button" just above the epigastic furrow in males.

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
having more places to hide is always a positive or you can get a panicked, whirlwind t....no one wants to deal with that.
Great point... Ive read about that and noticed it in multiple videos with the front opening enclosures. That was a big reason i decided against that type for any pokie i get.
I never hold any of my Ts and dont plan on starting with an agitated pokie cannon.

Pokies are actually easier to vent sex. I've never even looked at a pokie molt in
Thanks for the tip. I was going to see if it would take a cricket tonight, it'll give me a chance to check. I'll try and take a good picture or two as well to post.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Shine a light at it when its on the glass...when shining the light front to back (fangs to abdomen), you will see a little light "button" just above the epigastic furrow in males.
:arghh:

Well you just confirmed my suspision. My P. metalica has a breeding loan in it's future...

Theneil

Arachnoprince
well it is only about 3" DLS as of about a week ago so i am guessing it has a few molts left in it for me to enjoy before he gets any girlfriend(s).

Last edited: