Enclosure for 2” B. Smithi

CAtarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
I’ve searched the forum and read about enclosures but didn’t find these specific questions addressed...still, sorry if this is a repeat.

I just purchased my first T which is a 2” B. Smithi. The pet store sold me a 10 gallon terrarium. It has about a 4” substrate base which is sand on one side and coco fiber on the other. It also has a hide and a water dish. (Sorry I don’t have a picture)

I’ve done much more research and learning since I made this purchase. And I have Two Questions about this setup...

1. I’ve never seen a 1/2 sand, 1/2 coco fiber (separate, not mixed) enclosure before. Is that okay?
2. Is a 10 gallon enclosure too big for a 2” (juvenile) B. Smithi?

Thank you!!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Take out the sand, or mix the two subs together.

4" is not NEARLY enough substrate in a 10g tank, and a 10g tank is HUGE for a 2" spider... I have a 7" spider in a 10g. A 2.5g would be a better size, and you can easily get a Kritter Keeper that would be perfect. The substrate needs to be deep enough so that from the top of it to the lid is no more than 1.5-2x the leg dpan of your spider - so no more than 4" - to prevent falls.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This video applies 100% to B. smithi. It answers all of your questions and then some.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
And for future reference... usually most users on here will advise you to take whatever a pet store employee says with a grain of salt. Most of the time their specialty isn't in tarantulas or inverts at all and they're not doling out the best advice, even if they do mean well.

CAtarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
This video applies 100% to B. smithi. It answers all of your questions and then some.

This is really helpful, thank you! It’s also apparent that I was told & sold a lot of wrong & unnecessary equipment. I should have found this forum sooner!

Could the sand actually hurt the T or is it okay to leave it in there and just mix it in with the coco fiber?
Should I set up a smaller Kritter Keeper until it has a few more molts before transferring to the 10gal?

Take out the sand, or mix the two subs together.

4" is not NEARLY enough substrate in a 10g tank, and a 10g tank is HUGE for a 2" spider... I have a 7" spider in a 10g. A 2.5g would be a better size, and you can easily get a Kritter Keeper that would be perfect. The substrate needs to be deep enough so that from the top of it to the lid is no more than 1.5-2x the leg dpan of your spider - so no more than 4" - to prevent falls.
Should I use a Kritter Keeper until it has a few molts and gets larger or is a 10 gallon just way too much overkill?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is really helpful, thank you! It’s also apparent that I was told & sold a lot of wrong & unnecessary equipment. I should have found this forum sooner!

Could the sand actually hurt the T or is it okay to leave it in there and just mix it in with the coco fiber?
Should I set up a smaller Kritter Keeper until it has a few more molts before transferring to the 10gal?

Should I use a Kritter Keeper until it has a few molts and gets larger or is a 10 gallon just way too much overkill?
If you mix it in with the substrate, the sand is okay.

A 10g would be overkill in height... you have to add A LOT of substrate to make the height appropriate for a terrestrial. My B. auratum female is in a regular 10g and there is an entire bag of top soil in there, which makes it pretty hefty. You can find 10g short tanks that don't have the height.. they are neat.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes.

It doesn't have to be a kritter keeper necessarily, you could also use an appropriately sized sterilite container or something like that. I'd go with something like 3-4xDLS in width and 2-3xDLS in length, just to give you an idea of the floor space needed. ;) I'd also give it a few inches to burrow (if it wants to), at least 2xDLS, just make sure there's not more than 1,5xDLS of your spider of height between substrate and the top.

CAtarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
Does having the substrate so close to the top present more opportunity for them to climb or get stuck on the top mesh?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure it all out! ;) Thanks!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If they want to climb, they will climb, it doesn't matter how far away the top is. That's why it is always recommended to have less space between substrate and top, so when they climb and fall, the fall won't be causing any serious injuries.

Also, a mesh lid should be replaced with an acrylic top (with holes drilled into it).

But as it was said before, you should house your sling/juvie into something much smaller. And if you get a sterilite container (or something similar) and drill/burn holes for ventilation into it, you won't have the problem with stuck tarsi.