Enclosure Decoration Ideas? Help Needed

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Hey all,

So I've gone back & forth on this, lol. I'm thinking I'd like to add something to my terrarium & just looking for thoughts / ideas.

I have a A. Cholcades, & the only thing in there now is the hide & water dish.

Are plastic "aquarium" decorations fine / safe? I'm thinking I'd just add 1 other thing.....I've seen what appears to be "dinosaur" egg decor at Petco, that looks cool, but I've been apprehensive of any "sharp" edges.

Also considering a small version of those tree barks / logs (although not sure an A. Cholcades would climb it a lot)

I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than what it should be, lol. Just looking for any suggestions! Thanks!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
First of all, hello to another Los Angeles dweller. :angelic:

Second of all, all I use for tarantula enclosures are:

1. Substrate (mostly cocofiber)
2. Hide (mostly cork bark)
3. Water dish (all sorts of things)
4. Fake plants (mostly for arboreals)

Other than that, in my opinion, they are all optional, and unnecessary for tarantulas.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Thanks (from a fellow Angeleno)!! A couple of fake plants are a good idea. My set up is pretty base, so I'm think adding something in the corner would give it some color.

The color scheme (as well as the Cholades, lol) contain so many shades of brown!!

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
Yeah beyond the necessities and maybe some anchor points Ts don't really get much enrichment out of embellishment. If you feel the need to add a bit of flair to the enclosure just make sure it won't scrape up the T and keep it away from the walls of the enclosure, that way if your T goes on a walk up the side they aren't at risk of falling on something hard.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
This might be an odd question, but I'm curious if there are specific surfaces that T's prefer? I read somewhere that they don't like the feeling of human skin (not even sure if that's true or how it could be proven) but I notice my T spends a lot of time on top of the hide (which is the standard half log)

I was just trying to think if there's something else that I could put in there that he might gravitate towards (I'm sure this is my human reasoning of thinking my cholcades must be bored, lol) But just wondering if there are other surfaces they'd climb on.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hey all,

So I've gone back & forth on this, lol. I'm thinking I'd like to add something to my terrarium & just looking for thoughts / ideas.

I have a A. Cholcades, & the only thing in there now is the hide & water dish.

Are plastic "aquarium" decorations fine / safe? I'm thinking I'd just add 1 other thing.....I've seen what appears to be "dinosaur" egg decor at Petco, that looks cool, but I've been apprehensive of any "sharp" edges.

Also considering a small version of those tree barks / logs (although not sure an A. Cholcades would climb it a lot)

I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than what it should be, lol. Just looking for any suggestions! Thanks!
Ping pong ball!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like an actual ping pong ball?? Lol!
Yes, you'd be surprised what they take an interest in. One of my AFs took her heavy water bowl, put it up on its side, lifted it against container wall, and passed it leg over leg across all 4 sides.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Like an actual ping pong ball?? Lol!
Yep do a search on here. Used to be popular. Now its just me LOL. They move them around, do stuff with them. Had a Pampho on its back holding the ball in the air once. Its always interesting to see what mine do with them. Just another cage decoration for them to redecorate with.

As I give them to all the large juvie/adult sexed females, all of my ping pong balls are pink.....

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I did some research & the ping pong thing seems popular! Can they injure themselves or their fangs with the ball?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I did some research & the ping pong thing seems popular! Can they injure themselves or their fangs with the ball?
Can't imagine, they pretty much just move the thing where they want it, much like dirt or plants or other decor. Once in a while you might find some odd behaviour with it (i.e. treating it like an egg sac), and that's where it gets interesting.