Empty 40 Gallon Breeder

BackgroundNoise

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, so please yell at me if i am posting in the wrong place :embarrassed:

So here is the situation. I have an empty 40 gallon breeder. It has always been the centerpiece for my office. It used to house my Beautiful Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python, but last friday he passed away. Regardless, I do not like having this empty cage, for 1) makes me think about Dingo, the carpet python, and for 2) its kinda the first thing you see when you walk into my office and atm it is just dark. I have already cleaned out all of the substrate and threw away any organic plants or decor. Everything else was soaked in bleach, and then soaked for 2 days in clean water that was changed every few hours (Sorry for the long explanation, but i dont want to give any ammo for being off topic :happy:).

So back on topic, I am now left with a 40 gallon breeder tank in my office that is taking up space, and I dont know what kind of pet i want to tackle next.

I am really open to anything, I would prefer something that fits into one of these three categories (again i dont care if it is a Mammal, although i think that might be weird, an invert, a lizard, a snake or an amphibian)

1. Thrives in a bioactive vivarium (high humidity, live plants, springtails and isopods)
2. Can live at room temperature so i dont have to use heating elements (UVB is fine)
3. Thrives in a split tank (60/40 land/water or 70/30 or 50/50)

As far as my experience goes, i have been keeping Reptiles for many years, I have currently, 2 crested geckos, and a bearded dragon. I have also kept a corn snake, a ball python, a carpet python, a leopard gecko and jungle runner.

So, for reptiles i am not a beginner by any means.

But i have never kept inverts or amphibians. I am super interested in the idea of a spider but at the same time i am kind of scared to have one as well.

Thanks in advance for any response, and thanks for reading my book. I have been thinking about this since friday, and i have so many ideas running through my head that i need a second opinion.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Inverts may be difficult to pull off if you plan on having a split land/water tank. Plus, most inverts don't need anywhere close to a 40 gal, so you may have to actually divide the tank into chunks if you are adament about inverts. My first thought when you gave your conditions would be firebelly toads. They are very communal, many individuals can live in one tank. They also love having a body of water (as they are amphibians). They actually prefer having cooler temps around the 60-70 range, so the heat is no problem. And, as they really love having nice humidity, a natural bioactive vivarium would be perfect for them. They are pretty active as a frog species, and you could keep many individuals in the tank as a colony. Only problem is that it would be a lot of food and care making sure every one got food and to change the water, but I figure having a huge firebelly toad colony would be an incredible centerpiece for your office :D

BackgroundNoise

Arachnopeon
My apologies, i think you misunderstood. Haha. Those conditions, i meant just 1 of them. Not all 3. I mean it is awesome that you had an idea that used all three. And if there is something that would look really awesome i wouldmt mind trying somethine else. Those are just the ideas ive come up with. Though fire bellies toads do sound pretty cool.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dart frogs fit categories 1 and 2 perfectly (and possibly 3, but water features usually end up being a pain.)