1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emps Legal or not(NY)

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ScutigeraJine, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ScutigeraJine

ScutigeraJine Arachnopeon Active Member

New York
    Advertisement
    Couldn't find another post here, My dad is planning to get an Emperor scorp when he comes back and asked me to see if they were legal(which doesn't make sense since at the same time he said he's getting one regardless) and I'm 70% sure emperors are still illegal in New York, I tried going on every nygov site and some of their information is outdated, an example is that Rabbits are banned from sale(you can still adopt though) and Red bellies were sold in my local petstore(so I'm assuming they're legal again) neither was listed/unlisted and I only found out about it though the petstore.

tl:dr - Are Emperors Legal in New York? nygov sites aren't really helping.

note- The petstore I go to isn't, imo, Reliable for info on scorps since they don't sell arachnids/insects, only feeders for lizards)

2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    CITES protects animals from import/export, captive bred is OK though. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't read a few minutes ago, it's in article 161, says there you are not legally able to keep venomous arachnids and they took the effort to mention scorpions. One could probably get a permit though. It might have something to do with it being so crowded in many places there. This is the kind of thing that is probably not very actively enforced unless somebody complains, the NY gov is probably mostly covering their butt if something gets loose and hurts somebody. Says there you're not supposed to keep an elephant either, I bet that disappoints a lot of people.
    https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/about/.../health-code-article161.pdf

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ScutigeraJine

New York
  4. JoshBC

JoshBC Arachnosquire Active Member

Asian forrest scorpions are commonly sold as emps too you know. My 'Emperor', bought at a local pet store, was actually a Heterometrus Spinifer. Perhaps this is the case with your dad?

5. ScutigeraJine

New York
    He never bought one(yet) and he knows someone that already has them on hand, He just wanted to know if they were legal in new york.

6. JoshBC

JoshBC Arachnosquire Active Member

Well even if they are true Emps, I doubt he'll get his door kicked for having one lol. But if he's worried, tell him to get a diff species. AFS's are very similar, and not illegal. In my humble opinion, there's better scorps to own anyways. Desert species are WAY more active. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galapoheros

texas
    You have to read article 161 above, it's illegal to keep any scorpions in NY, nothing to do with what species it is. But I'd do it anyway if it were an imperator or Heterometrus sps. I just wouldn't show it to tattletalers, potential complainers or fanatic greenieweenies.

8. ScutigeraJine

New York
    my landlord & the workers wouldn't care, They're the type to ignore stuff, as long as we keep our animals in check, then anything(except tigers) is allowed, You'd be surprised with the things new yorkers can get their hands on.

9. Galapoheros

texas
    things pop up in the news, I don't think I'd be that surprised and maybe a reason NY went there with the blanket laws. If I were in an apartment then I'd really keep quiet about it. You have to watch out for landlords hiring exterminators to spray in apartments and houses too. Until I finally bought my own place, sometimes they would not announce a spray and my things would die.

10. ScutigeraJine

New York
    the workers don't do yearly/monthly spraying, It's more of a "do everything yourself" type of building, the only thing the landlord & workers are good for is collecting rent and spending it on things they dont need

11. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

The key word is Sshhh..

• Like Like x 1