Emperors fighting, or mating?

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
came home to two of my emperor scorpions going at this i've only read descriptions of their mating dance i've never seen it. just trying to see if anyone knows if that's what this is or if I should be concerned that they're fighting. they live in a shallow long 10 gallon tank with one other emp, three hides and three water dishes. i've never seen them agressive with each other. they were all sold to me as males at a convention. it's really hard to find females. could the dealer made a mistake and given me one female?

Attachments

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
That looked like mating to me until you blew on them lol
if they were fighting - you would see both of them stinging each other and probably grabbing each other in bad places with their chela ( claws) and quite possibly finding body parts laying around.
It's quite possible you got a small or possibly female labeled as a male

Also id like to add that it is awfully dry in your tank and you should cover alot of the lid to retain moisture in the tank. They really need high moisture or they won't live very long.

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
if they were fighting - you would see both of them stinging each other and probably grabbing each other in bad places with their chela ( claws) and quite possibly finding body parts laying around.

Also id like to add that it is awfully dry in your tank and you should cover alot of the lid to retain moisture in the tank. They really need high moisture or they won't live very long.
what would you say would be the best way to cover the tank cause I do try and moisten it regularly but it's dry by the next day. would laying a piece of plexiglass on top of the screen mesh help?

N8Legged

Arachnosquire

also update I did find a spermatophore in one of the water dishes tonight. I would be very excited if one of the scorpions was misidentified and turned out to be female. at the convention I got them from there was only one dealer selling emperor scorpions they had like a large 30-40 gallon tank filled with them the were being sold at $50 a piece but I struck a deal and got 3 for $135 they seemed to know what they were selling, when they put them in the cups for transport they marked on them the "male" symbol and I asked about it and they said they were holding onto all their females for breeding.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
what would you say would be the best way to cover the tank cause I do try and moisten it regularly but it's dry by the next day. would laying a piece of plexiglass on top of the screen mesh help?
Yep I've used plexiglass or plastic wrap can be used to cover 80% of the screen on top which should help keep it moist alot easier
That's odd you found the sperm in the water dish tho lol might want to put the water bowl in a corner so the male can place it on a better spot for conception

The people you got them from may have just mistaken the female for a male just from its size ive seen quite a few mislabeled scorpions at convention from even really dependable sellers it happens and in this case it was a good thing it seems best of luck to you !

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
Yep I've used plexiglass or plastic wrap can be used to cover 80% of the screen on top which should help keep it moist alot easier
That's odd you found the sperm in the water dish tho lol might want to put the water bowl in a corner so the male can place it on a better spot for conception

The people you got them from may have just mistaken the female for a male just from its size ive seen quite a few mislabeled scorpions at convention from even really dependable sellers it happens and in this case it was a good thing it seems best of luck to you !
IMG_3057.JPG
that look like enough plastic wrap? i've got tape on the ousid to try and keep the cat from sleeping on top of the tank.

gottacontra

Arachnopeon

gottacontra

Arachnopeon
I have plastic on my top. I use a Hygrometer to see the humidity level along with a thermometer. Humidity should be around 80%. When it gets below 80%, I spray the substrate. Temperature between 75 to 85. I have about 3" of substrate. They make quite elaborate burrows. About once a week or so, I will take the scorpions out and mix up the substrate, get the dry mixed with the moist and spray with water to get evenly moist, return the scorpions and they get busy making new burrows.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
View attachment 282318
that look like enough plastic wrap? i've got tape on the ousid to try and keep the cat from sleeping on top of the tank.
Yep looks fine if theres too much wrap on it you'll start getting mold on the sub so keep an eye out for that but you should be fine now hope you get to produce some babies in the future !!