Emperor Scorpion?

Ron Fults

Arachnopeon
So I was at a reptile show a few days ago and picked up a Pandinus imperator (emperor scorpion).
The guy I bought from had several T's and scorpions. He had what he called a asian emperor scorpion. I told him I wanted one of his emperor scorpions and his reply was African or Asian? I told him I didn't know there was a asian emperor scorpion. He did have everything labeled with the correct scientific names and common names. I did not look to see the scientific name he had on the Asian scorpions.
Is there a Asian emperor scorpion or was it most likely a Asian forest scorpion of some kind? The one I got and the "Asian emperor scorpions" were all juvies and about the same size.
What this dude have, any ideas?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
More than likely it's a heterometrus Sp. "Asian forest scorpion" and if it's a juvenile it will be very hard to I'd

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Drew hit the nail on the head. I had a similar experience. My cousin wanted to buy me the 'emperor' at a local pet store, knowing my interest in scorpions. After seeing it and informing them it was incorrectly identified they looked uncomfortable. After telling them I would gladly add a Heterometrus Sp to my collection they were pleased. It was an adult female and only lived approx 6 months. In my experience, emps have very bumpy pedipalps (claws) that they keep close to their chelicerea (mouth bits). Asian Forrest Scorpions pedipalps are smoother and they walk with them out front, almost probing the landscape. Both were similar in care and activity. Great starter scorps really.

Ron Fults

Arachnopeon
I suspected that was most likely the case. I was just curious and the more I thought about it, the more my curiosity grew. I'm planning to attend the next reptile show and I'm going to look at his "Asian emperor scorpions" again to see what species they are.
I may get one if it is a H. spinifer.
The one I did buy is indeed a P. imperator.
It has the bumpy pedipalps and walks around with them close to it's mouth as you described Josh.
I should have paid more attention when I was there to save myself some curiosity. But I was "in the moment" and excited to be getting some species I been wanting. Yes I bought more than just the scorpion. :)