1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emperor scorpion trouble catching food?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Tarantula1996, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    Hello, I'm a bit new to owning scorpions and I've noticed my emperor scorpion takes a while compared to my tarantula to catch prey. It usually will struggle to catch the crickets with its claws and sometimes I will see later he killed the cricket and ate it finally but now most of the time, I see the cricket wondering the cage after a day and then I take it out. I fed him last night with the cricket with tweezers and it worked. Any suggestions or just let it do its thing?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking

Socal
    all scorpions can be like this, particularly if old and their trichobothria are worn down or caked with dust, making it hard for them to detect exactly where their prey is.

smashing their heads will keep crickets alive while stopping them from moving or attacking your scorp. this is why you often see scorpions acting really weird, their instinct is to preserve these bristles so they can be very cautious about their prey fighting back. sure, a cricket cant easily kill a healthy large scorpion, but they can bite off trichobothria and reduce hunting ability.

3. They do far better with larger prey. You may want to consider switching to roaches. They're quite capable of catching crickets when necessary, however if they're not particularly hungry they usually don't put a whole lot of effort into it.