Emperor scorpion - one molt more

Baku

Arachnopeon
Hi,
Emperor scorpions usually are full-grown in 7 instar. But I read that they sometimes have one molt more, and they are adult in 8 instar.
What it depends on? Genetics, amount of food, maybe something else?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Genetics, feeding, temperature, any number of factors contribute to the growth and development rate of a Scorpion.

Baku

Arachnopeon
I saw opinions that female can have one molt more if it isn't pregnant. It means that if it live alone and there is no chance for being gravid, female grow up to next instar. Devotes energy for getting bigger, because it can't reproduce.
This explains why many scorpions do not have extra molt - once they reach adulthood the breeders join them in pairs or groups.
Is it true?

Mila

Arachnoknight
females usually have more instars before reaching sexual maturity as theyre the bigger gender in the scorpion world

Baku

Arachnopeon
I know, but I would want to say something different.
Let's read:
http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t6789p30-asa-centruroides-margaritatus
He want to know how many juveniles can have 7 instar female, and how many 8 instar. So a few joined with a male when it was 7 instar. Others kept alone, without male, because he wanted that his female have extra molt to 8.
To conclude, if I want to have 8i scorpion, I must kept my 7i female alone and give her time to grow up. It can't be fertilized because this prevents extra molt.
And I'm interesting, this is true?

bildova

Arachnopeon
sorry this will be kind a off subject. I was wondering if it's a normal thing for P. imperators to start and stop shaking while eating ? I don't see them doing this while changing there enclosure. any help would be great and thank very much

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
sorry this will be kind a off subject. I was wondering if it's a normal thing for P. imperators to start and stop shaking while eating ? I don't see them doing this while changing there enclosure. any help would be great and thank very much
Mine do it all the time. It's a form of communication telling others around them that they are another Scorpion and not food.

You will see this behavior from all ages when feeding. You will also see this behavior during courtship attempts with mature adult specimens.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think they are also telling others to leave them alone while they are eating(this is mine!), you notice they my wave their "tail" a little bit. They will do it when alone, just instinct I think.