Emperor Scorpion not burrowing etc

erinpuppy

Arachnopeon
Immediate Update: at the risk of making him feel annoyed or stressed I decided to “encourage“ it to move to a different area. He responded actively (he’s feisty and always has been).. he moved into a more suitable corner in the substrate behind his climbing log...
ps. I don’t actually know if my scorpion is a boy or a girl so I change pronouns a lot
————————————————

hey everyone, I know a lot of scorpion questions come through here, I’m always browsing this website when I have a question but I think it’s time for me to make my own post and get some opinions.

we bought this emperor scorpion from Petco sometime last year. It has never molted with us. It still has a light colored tip to its tail which I think means it will still molt at least once more?

I had to clean out the tank on Saturday because fungus gnats. everything was replaced same day, but it’s now monday and scorp still hasn’t burrowed or hid.

it has moved around, and doesn’t appear sick.

however it’s been extra extra fat lately.. fatter and fatter even tho we don’t feed it. I assumed it was because it’s due for a molt?

My set up includes coconut fiber for digging, a cave filled with coco fiber (his usual hiding spot) a plant , water dish and some climbing things, a smaller cave that is empty. (crickets sometimes reside there when we put them in the set up)
oh and glass lid,
very humid and the temp is usually around 70s to 80s

I want to know if his out in the open behavior is something to worry over. and if the scorpion itself looks healthy.
CB4DB500-A929-4382-B538-A0FBFCF36B64.jpeg
i’ll try to add a pic

Last edited:

erinpuppy

Arachnopeon
he is sitting on top of the cave in the picture. He was also observed sitting near his water dish yesterday.

is he just confused and stupid and i should hope he soon wanders to the digging side of the set up?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
he is sitting on top of the cave in the picture. He was also observed sitting near his water dish yesterday.

is he just confused and stupid and i should hope he soon wanders to the digging side of the set up?
If it's sitting on top of it's hide and not burrowing it's probably because the substrate is too wet. Take the glass lid off and increase ventilation until it's drier. Leave the scorpion to settle and do it's thing in its own time. It looks like it's certainly due for a molt, or may even be a gravid female. Leave alone and time will tell.