Emperor Scorpion mood change?

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I just got an Emperor Scorpion a little over a week ago. When I was looking to buy it the owner picked it up like nothing and let it sit on her hand and it didn't flinch at being touched etc.

But ever since I got it home it's very defensive. Is this something common? Is it the new cage/territory? Does it need time to adjust? I always heard about how calm Emperor Scorpions are, but this one is not acting that way...

Thanks

praetorian2150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe, thats literally my story too. bought my emperor a few years back from a store. Didnt seem to have that bad of an attitude then went aggresive his whole life. Your emperor is doing exactly what its instincts tell it too. so no worries, he might settle down in time, he might not. I dont match a personalilty to a species, every scorpion is different.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Think about this possibility:

Maybe at your home, the animal is kept under the ideal captive conditions ( warm and humid) and so it is more active, alert and defensive.
Maybe it was kept too cold at the pet shop. Then the animal would be more sluggish, not so active and less defensive......
Besides this, even 'docile' scorpions can have an off day or mood swings etc etc

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe at your home, the animal is kept under the ideal captive conditions ( warm and humid) and so it is more active, alert and defensive.
Maybe it was kept too cold at the pet shop. Then the animal would be more sluggish, not so active and less defensive......
Besides this, even 'docile' scorpions can have an off day or mood swings etc etc
+1 The LPS where I got my scorpions kept them in a dry tank with barely enough substrate to cover the floor. They were super stressed. They started acting like 'normal' scorpions within ~12 hours of being released into their new 'scorptopia'.

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking that maybe the temperature change might have made it more active too, in turn making it more defensive... I don't know...