Emperor pic

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I've just got hold of a digital camera, so i've got to share some of these pics with you. Up close and personal with my emperor scorp.

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Nice pic Dan...looks like you got pretty close. He looks mean. Was that through the glass or glassless?

John
];')

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager,

The picture was taken glassless, inside the tank. My emps are pretty docile mosyt of the time, so i can ge the camera right up in front of them. I don't think i'd get that close to my scolopendra though!

Cheers,

Dan.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
close scorp shots

I can also get very close emp shots as well as shots of my spadix but the latter did nail the cam once. I posted those pics elsewhere in this fourm. My emps will take crix out of my hands. I dont do it often cause I would never want to condition feeding to hand feeding but for show now and again its fun. They (save for one of the five) are awfully docile.

regards-
looseyfur

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow!

I've never seen one that close! That is really impressive, the only other pictures of them that I've seen are from a distance of about 2 feet or so I guess, and I've never seen one in real life. I really want one, but Mom will only agree to one tarantula (got my new baby yesterday, a Chilean Rose, I]Grammastola Rosea[/I] about the size of a quarter), but as soon as I move out, I'm filling every room imaginable with as many of the animals as I want..... chamelons, red-footed tortioses, snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, millipedes, centipedes, mantids, the list goes on!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha ha, yes, I know the feeling. My parents tried (with little success) to limit the number of animals that i got. My solution was usually to just buy it and hope they wouldn't say no once i showed it to them! :D Now that i rent my own place, my collection is expanding, but i could easily find my self with too many animals. I'm already trying to figure out the logistics of moving everything when i move house in the summer, and going away on long holidays is out of the question, unless i can train up one of my more responsible friends to look after them. Once buy my own house i'll really start to collect more animals, until then i'm going to have to be happy with what i've got. But it is hard when a new tarantula or scorpion is only a few mouse clicks and a credit card number away!

Cheers,

Dan.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It is worse/better when you deal with larger animals. For some reason it is harder to find spots for 8'x4'x4' enclosures. :) The better bit is that ... well, you can have larger animals. :)

Cheers,
Dave

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I want a emperor scorp ! They are soooo coooool !! Do you need heating lamps w/them ?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got two emps at the moment, and they are both about 6 inches long. They do need a heat source (at least in the UK they do), to keep the temp about 75 to 85 degrees. These were the first inverts i got. They go through stages of chilling for a couple of weeks, and then being active for a few weeks, but i do still really like them, and they look amazing under UV. I'll try and get some photos of them when they are flourescing as it is absolutely incredible.
Does anyone know why it is that emperor scorpions flouresce under UV, and do any other scorpion have the same properties? It seems a bit wierd, i can't see why it would evolve.

Cheers,

Dan.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Nearly all species of scorpions fluoresce. There are only one or two odd species which will probably never been seen in the hobbiest industry that do not fluoresce. At present it is not know why they developed the ability to fluoresce.

John
];')

Scorpion Lover

Arachnopeon
hi

wow those are really pretty pictures, does he ever bite you, or not? it looks very slimy and oily black!!! I love the pictures! Have you ever held it yet?

Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed, the last reply is correct, though a blacklight is NOT a full UV light. Unless it was specifically purchased for the purpose of having full UV rays (Walmart and other "normal" shopping stores do NOT sell these and they can get quite expensive for different wavelengths, so they are more commonly remaining unused in the scorpion hobby). Blacklights are however, near UV, and therefore, shouldn't be used for more than a few minutes at a time, unless normal lighting is also used at the same time to give the scorps warning of the light and near UV radiation. The scorps will still come out occasionally under normal lighting, but will usually stay hidden from the rays.

later...

PS: GREAT PICS!!! What type of camera do you use? I always see digitals fuzz up at that close of a range (which is why I don't have one). I use a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS for my photography. That would be a much cheaper alternative for this one. For those who don't know, this camera he used takes "as close" shots as a $370.00 SLR camera with a $200.00 lens and doesn't have to have film developed (not to mention cost for a good tripod and flash)!!! Again, great pics!!! :D

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
XOskeletonRED,

thanks, the photos were taken with a cannon ixus v2, it's nothing fancy, only a 2 mp point and shoot camera, but it produces some nice close ups. Although i'd really like to do some proper macro photos of the scorpion anatomy, it's goning to have to wait until i can afford a better camera. I'm going to try and get some close up feeding photos later in the week, i'll post them when i do.

Cheers,

Dan.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dan,
Not too shabby. Well, any way it goes with the cam being "cheap" or not, I have a Rebel 2000 EOS and I can't get any closer than the shot you took already. Not to mention, I have four main lenses (50 close range-1400MM longe range) and a huge number of adapters for different shots, including night, blacklight, colors, etc. Pathetic, I can shoot a scorp on a tree top across the road, but not in my own aquariums. *lol*

Hope to see more from you later. I, personally can't seem to get anything down to a small enough size to post it on this site, though I have a few pics downsized and posted at others. I tried to post a pic of a spadix, but it scanned at a little over 10,000kb at almost minimun dpi (200 dpi). Way too big, but at least it wasn't like the other scanning at 186,000kb @ 400 dpi. And yes, I always have large pics cause I get them developed in custom sizes and it causes me to scan at close to full screen from the scanner.

later,
edw.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks,

edw,

if you've got the images on your computer, you can downsize them in microsoft Paint. just go to Image - Stretch/skew, and stretch it to a smaller size. I'd love to see some more pics of scorpions, there's not enough photos posted in this forum in my opinion :) Does anyone have any nice pictures of Hadrurus arizonensis? I think it's going to be my next purchase, as soon as my next pay cheque comes in.

Cheers,

Dan.