Emperor or dictator scorpion??

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
I recently bought two supposedly "dictator scorpions" supposedly a pair but I was already told my someone in my other thread that they're emperors not dictators.. he send me pics of emps and dictators to show that he's sure about it and it seems to be but this is my question ... are both my scorpions emperors ? Because the "male" seems to be more of a reddish color then the all black "female" ..???

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1013.JPG
I recently bought two supposedly "dictator scorpions" supposedly a pair but I was already told my someone in my other thread that they're emperors not dictators.. he send me pics of emps and dictators to show that he's sure about it and it seems to be but this is my question ... are both my scorpions emperors ? Because the "male" seems to be more of a reddish color then the all black "female" ..???

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I would say look at the midsection of the scorpion. Try comparing the claws too. Dictators are a midge smaller than emps.

slamon10

Arachnopeon
where did you buy them from?

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
where did you buy them from?
Underground reptiles, there's already a couple of guys on here that bought them from underground as well and turned out to be imperators which I'm completely fine with , it's just odd that the male is so aggressive and different color

slamon10

Arachnopeon
oh yes I saw those and could tell they were emperors but back water reptiles has some but from the last order I made I do not trust them anymore.

slamon10

Arachnopeon
But the coloration on the male is very strange almost like a red claw emperor but it does not have the characteristics of one.

Peacockgar51

Arachnopeon
Underground reptiles, there's already a couple of guys on here that bought them from underground as well and turned out to be imperators which I'm completely fine with , it's just odd that the male is so aggressive and different color
You might have gotten red claw emperors. They are very aggressive cousins to the emperors and dictators. They have a reddish tint to them. My dictator which I bought from UG also is black with a blueish tint.

Peacockgar51

Arachnopeon
Here is my "dictator" which I bought from underground. Here he is next to my adult male Asian forest scorpion. Asian forest is on the left and dictator on the right. My dictator is semi aggressive but EXTREMELY active. When handling him, he wouldn't stop walking. I even tried blocking him with my hand and he just turned around and walked the other way lol. According to the guy at the shop, dictators are the larger, more active cousin to the emperor.

Attachments

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
Here is my "dictator" which I bought from underground. Here he is next to my adult male Asian forest scorpion. Asian forest is on the left and dictator on the right. My dictator is semi aggressive but EXTREMELY active. When handling him, he wouldn't stop walking. I even tried blocking him with my hand and he just turned around and walked the other way lol. According to the guy at the shop, dictators are the larger, more active cousin to the emperor.
I bought mine both of them from UG couple days ago as dictators but Galapoheros from this forum which seems to be recommend when trying to find out the species of Scorpion said that they were both emperors but the male is reddish tint and aggressive but I looked at the red claws and they are all black with red claws even their stinger is black but not this guy. I just want some one to tell me if the reddish looking male is also a emperor or infect a dictator. I saw yours on your Thread you got a pretty big emperor.

slamon10

Arachnopeon
I have also heard that that emperors can range from a brown color when still young but get darker when they get older.

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
But the coloration on the male is very strange almost like a red claw emperor but it does not have the characteristics of one.
That's what I was thinking but according galaboheros .. he says both are emperors but he didn't tell me why the male has a different reddish coloration then the female... and yea I heard bad things about backwater as well. I know the reddish one is a male and the other a female I jsut want to know why in the hell the male is reddish instead of black I know it's not a red claw for sure .. lol no one has answered me that

Varanus88

Arachnopeon
I have also heard that that emperors can range from a brown color when still young but get darker when they get older.
Well I jsut hope it's he same species because I bought them both as a pair and as "dictators" to find out that they are actually emperors which I'm even happier that they are but a little disappointed in the whole "docile" personality because the male for sure isn't docile

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well I jsut hope it's he same species because I bought them both as a pair and as "dictators" to find out that they are actually emperors which I'm even happier that they are but a little disappointed in the whole "docile" personality because the male for sure isn't docile
Did you get them off of those wood chips yet?

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost certainly Pandinus imperator. Color alone is NEVER a taxonomic trait. It is highly variable and any color differences between individuals fall well within the realm of intraspecific variation.

Pandinus dictator have narrower, more strongly granulated chela, and also have stronger granulation on the carapace and tergites.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most imperators I've raised from babies end up being black but while some turn black fairly fast after a molt, some take several months, even up to year to turn really black. By the way, it's fairly rare, I've had a few imperators that had telsons that are completely shiny black.

Crom

Arachnosquire
Those arent dictator. Dictator have slightly narrower pedipalps somewhat similar to Heterometrus and 3 "ridge" lines running across the front the pedipalps, whereas imperator are evenly granulated. Another way to accurately ID is count and comoare the ventral pedipalp trichobithria