EMERGENCY! Sling stuck in molt??

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
It doesn't look stuck. They stretch and shift position on their back for a while once they're done.

It will eventually turn over onto its feet again, so just leave it be.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
It doesn't look stuck. They stretch and shift position on their back for a while once they're done.

It will eventually turn over onto its feet again, so just leave it be.
Ok, what would be signs of him being stuck??? I’m hoping a foot isn’t stuck, and also should I pour him water in his bowl it’s empty

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Ok, what would be signs of him being stuck??? I’m hoping a foot isn’t stuck, and also should I pour him water in his bowl it’s empty
Yes, refill the water bowl. Post molt, hydration is direly important for a sling.

You'll know it's stuck when it's stuck? Your T seems just fine, and if a molt gets stuck to a leg then it's really not anything to panic over. It's more of a problem if the abdomen or carapace get stuck. There several threads discussing how to tackle stuck molts in circumstances where you can intervene.

Edit - Apologies for the snarkiness, to elaborate, when a leg gets stuck in a molt, the T can usually just amputate it no problem themselves and it'll grow back in a molt or two, good as new. However, if the vast majority of the legs and/or the abdomen don't make it free of the molt, then the T is sure to perish without intervention of physically freeing the T yourself. This is a delicate process that can go very wrong, but it's been done several times in the past with success. However, if the T is almost entirely trapped in the molt, even with intervention it is basically certain death. The smaller the T, the more delicate the process of assisting them though a molt, and sometimes there's just nothing you can really do.

Baring in mind that the bigger the T is, the longer it will take to molt, a good indicator of your T getting stuck in a molt is if it sits for several hours after beginning the molt process but stops making progress in shedding it. Once it starts, there should basically be continuous progress. When your T pulls its legs to its carapace like yours has in the photo, it is free. They wiggle around as they feel out their new suit.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Looks fine to me. You can refill the water dish f you are careful. even if a foot is stuck it is not a big deal but IFF it is exposed and you are careful, you can probably grab that molt with a pair of tweezers to ease your mind.

Personally k would leave it and thats what i would suggest you do, but ultimately it is your decision to make.