Emergency! Should I rescue T from the neglect of Pet Smart?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hi all. I have been going to Pet smart on a weekly basis to stock up on crickets for my B. Hamorii I got about 3 months ago. The first time I went in there i was shopping for my first T and noticed an Avicularia Avicularia in a small enclosure, I know T's dont require large homes but this enclosure looked too small for the size of the T and it definitely did not have enough space for it to climb, since it is an arboreal T. Anyway I left feeling like I'd be getting robbed if I bought it because it looked shriveled and not in good shape and it would probably pass away after I got it. That T is a fighter let me tell you, it's been like I said 3 months since I first saw it and it's still going! Every time I go back i notice more and more concerning things though. First off the enclosure is way too small. Second, the substrate is way too dry. Third, there is no thermometer or hydrometer. Fourth The water dish has a big yellow ball of gel that has been there for ever untouched! That annoys me beyond belief because it can be a breeding ground for bacteria! Fifth, the hide is a flat log and about half an inch of substrate so theres absolutely no space for it to make a burrow. Sixth the glass is fogged over with the T's white feces, I'm not exaggerating it's gotten hard to look into its tiny enclosure because it's never been cleaned at all! Lastly the T is always on the glass which I know it's a climbing spider, but I also know it's an indicator of a stressed T trying to get away from whatever is bothering it on the ground level. The poor T's abdomen is shriveled like a raisin too. I look at my B. Hamorii and it has a JLO ass and I feel so bad for that Avic Avic that's being neglected at "Pet dumb!" I am debating whether I should rescue it but fear it might be even more far gone than the first time 3 months ago that I saw it. I just dont want to get it if it's going to pass a week later for that shit will stay with me for awhile! I have OCD and knowing I didnt do the right patterns to keep it alive will bug me for a long time. I also dont want to leave it in the "amputated" hands of Pet Smart either for the neglect will eventually kill it. Any advice guys? I would truly appreciate it.
Send an email or have a telephone complaint to the correct person. Then vote with your wallet and spend your money elsewhere. This is not a rescue, its a purchase that will keep more T's coming into that store.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
"Lastly the T is always on the glass which I know it's a climbing spider, but I also know it's an indicator of a stressed T trying to get away from whatever is bothering it on the ground level."

Is this true? My A. Chalcodes is on the glass often! (it spends some time in the hide, but moreso on top of it) I just assumed it was being a spider...It sits on the substrate as well, so I guess it's OK....just never heard that being on the glass could be an indicator of them being stressed....

Bluebird5591

Arachnopeon
"Lastly the T is always on the glass which I know it's a climbing spider, but I also know it's an indicator of a stressed T trying to get away from whatever is bothering it on the ground level."

Is this true? My A. Chalcodes is on the glass often! (it spends some time in the hide, but moreso on top of it) I just assumed it was being a spider...It sits on the substrate as well, so I guess it's OK....just never heard that being on the glass could be an indicator of them being stressed....
Yes, sometimes terrestrials will climb to try to get away from something on the ground they don't like, wet substrate for example. If it's doing it super often it's definitely possible.

Last edited:

MysteryT

Arachnopeon
I see this is an old thread, but that is basically how I ended up with my A. Avic, (I have had her for a little less than a year at this point, Confirmed female) She was in literally the smallest critter keeper I had seen at that time, literally no form of water bowl, let alone the gel and little to no substrate (these guys dont burrow anyways so that's not ENTIRELY a problem) so she was forced to make herself the saddest little tube at the top corner of the enclosure. I didn't even go in to look for a T, just stocking up on crickets, and I couldn't leave the store without her. Since then, she has molted 3 times and her bright vibrant coloring is back, and she will never not have a full plump booty while in my care. My point is though, I don't want people to think that just because they see a shriveled up T in a pet store that it is a lost cause because if I had that mindset, I wouldn't have my favorite T I have ever owned.

Akirathet

Arachnopeon
I have learned so much on here and boy was I wrong about certain things. Thank you for your response I appreciate it.

As many have said before do the research on here ask questions when needed.

Avics do require a bit more attention to husbandry. But the people here are very in depth with what they know and there passionate about it.

Here's to hoping they at least change there approach in "caring" for animals abroad....
Thank you for your reply. I have learned so much on here thanks to you and others.

I see this is an old thread, but that is basically how I ended up with my A. Avic, (I have had her for a little less than a year at this point, Confirmed female) She was in literally the smallest critter keeper I had seen at that time, literally no form of water bowl, let alone the gel and little to no substrate (these guys dont burrow anyways so that's not ENTIRELY a problem) so she was forced to make herself the saddest little tube at the top corner of the enclosure. I didn't even go in to look for a T, just stocking up on crickets, and I couldn't leave the store without her. Since then, she has molted 3 times and her bright vibrant coloring is back, and she will never not have a full plump booty while in my care. My point is though, I don't want people to think that just because they see a shriveled up T in a pet store that it is a lost cause because if I had that mindset, I wouldn't have my favorite T I have ever owned.
Exactly true. I saw the shriveled abdomen and didnt think of it as a lost cause, instead it made me want to buy it to nurse it back to health. I just felt so bad for it. Update though. I went in last week to stock up on crickets and saw someone was going through the process of buying it, so hopefully it went to a good home.

Send an email or have a telephone complaint to the correct person. Then vote with your wallet and spend your money elsewhere. This is not a rescue, its a purchase that will keep more T's coming into that store.
True. Unfortunately last week when I went in to stock up on crickets someone was in the process of buying that exact tarantula. Looks like the wheel will keep on turning for Petsmart.

Tell me this book you are using, does it indicate your T enclosure should be kept at a certain humidity? :bookworm:
The book indicates different humidity levels for different tarantulas.

I wouldn't bother with the TKG, it contains some outdated info, the threads below will be more helpful to you.

Avicularia Care
Avicularia Husbandry
I have heard and yes most information on here is more helpful than in some book.

For most terrestrial tarantulas it is an indicator of the substrate not being up to par for the tarantula. This was the case for my B. Hamorii my substrate was to wet when I poured it out of the sealed bag. So what I did is pour it into a box and put it under the sun and you would not believe how wet the box ended from the evaporation of water the substrate had even though it looked and felt dry straight out the brand new bag. After that my T stopped climbing. So that was definitely an indicator of it being too uncomfortable to walk on it.

The Tarantula Keepers Guide has several glaring flaws, one of which is that Avics need high humidity. They do not. Just give them a regular waterdish, and maybe spray a little water on their web no more than 3 times a month. Don’t ever buy a thermometer/hygrometer as they are beyond useless to tarantula keeping, despite the recommendation (that I think might be?) in the book. It is not now nor ever has been the Bible of T keeping. Please don’t treat it like it is. Get your information here instead.

Also, a good majority of spiders at stores like that are usually mature males. They already naturally have tiny shriveled abdomens, which per your description makes me think this could be the case. I do not recommend a mature male as a first A. avic. It will likely die within a couple months of you getting it.
Thanks for the reply, I have learned a lot thanks to all the helpful replies from you and others.

Last edited by a moderator: