EMERGENCY! My Hierodula membranacea escaped in my room!

Schledog

Arachnosquire
My Hierodula membranacea ESCAPED AND I AM TOTALLY FREAKING OUT! ITS IN MY ROOM AND I CANT FIND IT! Is there a way I can attract it to something or a way to get it to come out? I'm really scared that I can't find it and its L4 or L5 and its teeny (maybe an inch) Please help!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Sorry but it will be extremely dofficult. You can try maybe putting some fake leavea or a house plant and hope that they’ll come to that. Maybe mist it so there’s some moisture that the mantis will be kured to it or leave some feeders in cups where the mantis could potentially see it(make sure feeder insects do not escape) since hiwrodula tend to be a more actuvely hunting species but other than that I’m clueless.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Better an escaped mantis than an escaped spider! Spiders will hunker down in dark nooks and crannies and you may never find them. Mantises are more likely to remain out in the open.

The mantis may be attracted to light, so close the door to the room for now to keep the mantis in - and any cats or other threats out - and check back in the morning. Look around windows, particularly on window blinds, and on any plants or shelving or other furniture in the general area. Also, don't forget to look up. Mantises often prefer to climb and to hang out in high places, so you might find it on the wall, the ceiling, or hanging from a light fixture.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Also, don't forget to look up. Mantises often prefer to climb and to hang out in high places, so you might find it on the wall, the ceiling, or hanging from a light fixture.
Yeah when I first realized it escaped I looked for the tallest object nearby because I knew from feeding experience they HATE to be on the ground.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Try turning the light off and scanning the room with a flashlight. I find that it makes finding lost bugs easier, probably because it forces you to focus on a small area at once.

I hope there aren't any cobweb spiders in the room because if there are there's an excellent chance it's dead and wrapped with silk by now. Even a tiny spider can easily take down a much larger mantis.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It will tend to climb to high places, it probably won't be found on the floor. I'd look on curtains, beds, chairs, couches, places like that.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
I FOUND IT! It was behind the part of a medal that goes around your neck that was dangling from my windowsill. Thank you all for helping out with suggestions and I will double check that the lid is on TIGHT next time. It was much harder to find than when one of my blue death feigning beetles escaped.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I FOUND IT! It was behind the part of a medal that goes around your neck that was dangling from my windowsill. Thank you all for helping out with suggestions and I will double check that the lid is on TIGHT next time. It was much harder to find than when one of my blue death feigning beetles escaped.
That's great! I'm so glad you found it - and that it was unharmed!